Author Topic: Survival Essentials??  (Read 4107 times)

Offline nlester

Survival Essentials??
« on: December 20, 2012, 12:46:56 pm »
Hypothetically speaking, give me your top 10 things you must have for survival, be it a natural catastrophe, lost in the wilderness.....you get the idea.  I'm interested in putting together a survival backpack and looking for essentials.  The list could be longer than 10.  I value the opinions of the people on this site and will be interested to see what you suggest.   

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Survival Essentials??
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:53:10 pm »
Don't know if I can be of any help with the Natural Catastrophe....
But, If you are planning on getting lost in the Wilderness ( at least in the lower 48 )
your best survival gear is going to be a good set of walking legs and a since of direction.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 02:15:32 pm »
water purification tabs,dehydrated food for a couple days, something besides your lighter to start fire, a small tarp, survival blanket, energy bars, and a good knife with a stone to start, but heck the world ends fri anyhow ::), Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 02:22:01 pm »
and some good paracord, not that cheap crap

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:52:42 pm »
Will
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 02:59:52 pm »
Well a set of dogs would be great. They can hunt, keep ya warm, someone to talk to and can provide protection/alarm.  The best part is you don't have to carry them like other provisions you might have to fall back on.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 03:27:39 pm »
1- water
2-shelter
3-fire
4-food
5- correct mental state of mind

the other 5 are materialistic things to help you achieve the first 5
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 04:06:34 pm »
Something to carry water.  In fact, several forms of things to carry water, including one that can be heated on a fire.  Keep three different ways to start a fire, and practice using all threl they are easy-peasy. (I use flint and steel, waterproof matches, and a butane-torch jet engine cigar lighter)

Change of sox is nice to have.  Wool are best, can double as mittens, or go around your neck to help keep warm. 

A high quality whistle.  One of those ref's whistles with the pea in it helps to get folks attention when trying to guide rescuers to the spot where a boulder trapped your arm.  Oh, and keep your knife sharp in case you gotta cut off your arm.

I keep several different knives in my "crash pack".  One little pocket knife for general utility, a medium sized knife like a skinner, and a larger fixed blade sharpened to 25 degrees on each side (cutting edge is 50 degrees combined).  The litte pocket knife is easy to sharpen and whets easily on a leather belt for a strop.  The medium is sharpened to an edge that will slice things so thin they only got one side...and you leave it the hell alone until you need it.  Then the big fixed blade is sharpened to a broader edge, but that edge will take a beating before dulling.  That way I can use it for chopping larger diameter sticks, etc. 

Often I also carry a small tomahawk that is sharpened to a fair-the-well.  I use that for skinning and other light camp chores like making kindling and driving small stakes.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nlester

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 04:14:06 pm »
Thanks everyone for the info.  All are great ideas.  Thanks so much

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 05:23:20 pm »
when you get a water container make shure it's clear, not tented, clear on a warm day you can fill it and put on your pack, 4-5 hrs it's drinkable

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 06:46:53 pm »
 The main Idea for survival is this phrase.. P.lease R.emeber W.hats F.irst  Protection Rescue Water Food. most will always tell you water is most important I wont argue that. I agree.  This is the basics I will always carry when I leave the house in any situation. Water container, A liter at least, Firesteel, and a knife8 inches or so. a large knife isnt usually needed due to batoning is easy to do to cut decent sized branches. Your mind is the most usefull and important tool, inginuity is a huge part of survival and minimalist living. Heres what ill bring if im planning a ..extended excursion.

Pack, Firesteel, BCB water bottle and Canteen cup, Hatchet, First Aid Kit, Sling shot, Dry bag, Hammock with rainfly, (I will never use a tent again, Even in winter!!) Headlamp, Multitool, compass, superglue climbing carabiners, many uses including 3-1 hoist, MRE for emergency food. I dont use water purification tablets. Theres better ways to purify water also poisons arent nutralised using tablets. Items not in picture.. Knife (its being made and I had to send it to get hardened) 550 paracord. change of clothing, jacket, sharpening tool tho you can use stone. Sand stone works well along with other stones. I can go on and on and on about things you can add but what you know will greatly minimise what you think you need.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 07:00:31 pm »
1.Leatherman multi-tool  2.Sharpening stone  3.100 ft. of good paracord  4.Canteen  5.Clean metal container(for boiling water in)  6.Fire source(lighter, fire piston, fire steel, magnesium block, magnifying glass, etc...)  7.Cotton balls  8.Vasoline(combine the cotton balls and Vasoline for decent tinder if you can't find any naturally)  9.Compass  10.Small camp ax  11.Small camp shover  12.Signal mirror  13.Whistle  Good luck with your list.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 08:49:19 pm »
essential items other than the obvious mentioned already.
a spare pair of glasses if you need them to see.
a good supply of yr medication if you take any for "survival"
i also carry a few morphine tabs simply because if someone breaks an ankle or leg,
they could mean the difference between getting out alive or being left behind and maybe/maybe not surviving.
as mentioned already but critical to survival
the knowledge to use all of the tools you carry
practice practice practice
the more familiar you are with the tools at hand, the more confidence(less panic) if you need to use em
one more thing-to actually have yr kit with you at all times, just in case....
wild women don't get the blues

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 11:12:38 pm »
Here is the emergency kit i have been putting together. No there really is no dog lol.
Maps of the tristate area water-proof
Firestarter
Compass
Emergency blanket
Rain poncho
Dust mask
Wet ones
Duct tape
Light wt plastic
Isoproply alchohol
Light
Just getting started on it.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 02:58:17 am »
No human being should be walking around without something to start a fire with and something to cut with in his pockets.  I am not dressed unless I have a knife and a lighter with me and I keep a metal match on my keyring.  Fire separates us from the animals.   Those two things are number 1 and 2. 

3. canteen/messkit.  now you are cooking and drinking/purifying your water - can't live without water. 
4. hatchet/machete depending on your latitude....   
5. plastic tarp - keeps you out of the rain...
6.  paracord - cordage is right up there with a good knife for something that you will really need.
7.  space blankets - several packs of them... 
8.  pancho/extra clothes
9.  a firearm capable of killing the biggest meanest critter in your neck of the woods and ammunition.
10.  fishing gear/snare wire.....    If I had all this stuff to start with, dump me out somewhere and check back next year  -- I'll be living indoors, gaining weight, and hoping nobody finds me! ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi