Author Topic: Survival Essentials??  (Read 4131 times)

Offline nlester

Re: Survival Essentials??
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 09:52:43 am »
Thanks everyone.  You guys are awesome!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 07:43:49 am »

These are all good.  I would  small pot, for water, and a pan, for cooking, and purification.  I have two military cold weather canteens with cup, and case. A roll of heavy duty, large garbage bags, or at least six of them.  They make great rain gear,  waders, water proofing shelters, catching rain water, showers, (double them, and poke small holes in the bottom, and put a frame work, around the top, and fill with water, but tie off the section just above the bottom, and let the sun heat it, and then untie the bottom, for a warm shower. ;)) A couple of nylon mesh type hammocks.  Can be used as a back pack, fish net, carrying firewood, animals, and even sleeping in them. ::)
A good lightweight hatchet, two or three pocket knives, all sharpened.  I always have at least three pocket knives with me.  One I use for general stuff, the other for slicing meat, and such, and the third, is my Swiss Army Knife, which, I keep shaving sharp, and never use it till I really need it!  I also have my Gerber Multi tool, which I love, and have used it more than any tool, I have ever had!  A light weight sleeping bag, two wool blanket, couple of light weight survival blankets, a "Tool Logic,SL3 fire, knife" (SOG)  with the sparking bar insert, it will set note book paper on fire, and is very bright, and can be seen for a long ways, and can be used as a signaling device also. I am not a fan of SOG products, but this a good one.  It is a folding knife, that has half straight, and half serrated blade, with a raised slotted back, with notches for using on the sparking bar. A couple of good quality small flashlights, and extra batteries, a pack of four or so of disposable lighters,  (I always have one in my pocket.) a package of 000 steel wool, which can be ignited with just a spark, or use one of the AA batteries, and take a small section of the steel wool, and put it around each end of the battery, and it will ignite.  Steel wool burns VERY hot!  Actually it is the oil on it.  Like it was said A roll of duct tape, some Co ban, elastic self sticking bandage wrap.  You can get it cheaper, at your local farm supply store, in their vet supply section.  It is used for leg wraps on horses, it is wider, and is in various colors, and can be cut into two, or three sections, and about half the price of Co ban in the drugstores.   It is great for use as splints, wrapping bandages, and many other uses.  the duct tape, is pretty much limited to your imagination, such as emergency hats, made from plastic bags, tee shirts, blankets,  etc.  Tying poles together, for shelter, etc.
Repairing shoes with holes, clothes, rips, etc.  The Co ban/leg wraps can be used to protect from blisters, from loose fitting shoes, , and boots.  Some heat packs, of various sizes.  a coat, sweater, extra pair of under wear, couple of extra shirts, long sleeved, and short, T shirt, Glasses if you need them, prescription, or reading, pencil, pen, paper pad, Couple rolls of toilet paper, Udder cream, or bag balm, two pair wool socks, extra pair of shoes, preferably a hiking style low top boot, or tennis type shoe.  Winter boots.  Magnesium bar with sparking bar, and striker.  If you are in a cold climate, a pair of light weight snow shoes, or even mil. surplus magnesium snow shoes, as the magnesium, can be scraped and use to start a fire.  A couple of good fixed blade, hunting style knives.  I have a Mora Swedish Military knife, and a Marttiini Finish knife, that literally comes out of the box shaving sharp.  It will shave the finger prints off of your thumb!  They are the company that makes the knives for "Rapala."  The Mora knife, is an amazing knife, that is cheap priced, but extremely durable, and will take and keep a sharp edge.  It will take an enormous amount of abuse, and keep on serving.  It is a laminated blade, with a hard core, bonded between two softer sheets of steel.  Both the Mora, and Marttiini, are very light weight knives.  You can use the Mora for general duty, and the Marttiini for meat slicing, and skinning.  I would take a sharpening stone, or two, medium, and honing.  Or at least a set of diamond sheet sharpeners.  Also a small wood rasp, and folding saw.  Sling shot, with extra bands, and pouches, or a three ft. length of surgical tubing.  A couple hanks of para cord.  A couple of Altoids tins, or plastic containers, with fishing line, hooks of various sizes, different size spoon lures, and split shot, and egg sinkers.  Fishing line, I would choose power pro, because it is very strong and small diameter, and is stiff enough to be used for snare wire, or bow string, arrow head wrapping, etc.  Speaking of..... a dozen trade style points.  Pro line also doesn't get frizzied on the end either, like spider wire can.  Get a couple of each in 12, and 50, or 60 lb.  Lots of uses for small strong line.  A good quality pair of 10X25 waterproof binoculars, (Leupold, Steiner, or higher priced ones) Some zip lock bags to put stuff you don't want getting wet.  A ski mask, for cold weather,  Mosquito net, for sleeping, and a mosquito head net, and or a bug suit.   A water purification tube, or similar item.  Can't always make a fire.  Even a small collapse able umbrella.  4 or more cans of tuna, salmon,sardines, etc.  Good source of protein, and minerals, especially with the skin and bones in.  Good omega 3's, and essential fats.  Fats are not bad for you, it is the kind of fats that are bad for you, like ANY hydrogenated, or partially hydrogenated oil.  Even a good healthy oil, like cold pressed coconut oil, can be bad for you when it is hydrogenated, or partially hydrogenated.  Avoid anything hydrogenated,or partially hydrogenated oils!  You can make a soup, broth, chowder, with the salmon.  Good on a cold night.  A couple of hats, summer, and winter.  leather gloves, winter water proof gloves, wool glove liners, mittens, with liners, wool scarf.Survival candles.  A block of bees wax, or a couple blocks of gulf wax paraffin, for soaking match sticks, bow strings, etc.  A sewing awl kit, handle, and extra needles, and a roll of waxed linen string.  If you can get them, a couple different sized sutures with needles.  A good quality plant identification book. Strong magnifying glass, tweezers of various size and style pincers, with magnifying glass on them.  Alcohol pads, small to medium bottle of hand sanitizer.  Lights very easily, plus you can sanitize stuff.  A medium medicine bottle with cotton soaked in Vaseline.  A medium jar of Vaseline. A flint striker, should you find some flint or chert, then you will have a striker for it. The maps was a good suggestion, especially if you can get a couple of topographical maps.  A couple of compasses of course. Sewing kit, both, for clothes, and leather, nylon webbing etc.  Go to Wally World, and go to the craft section, and the sewing section, and they will have a small kit Gun oil, and compact cleaning rod, and brushes, pads, etc. Seems like a lot, but it fits in a back pack, or on it, and rifle, or shot gun can be carried, by sling, or in a scabbard, with a shoulder strap.  Just think of the where you might end up, and what would make you comfortable and dry, and warm, safe, and fed.  A couple of Ra-mein noodle packages or just some egg noodles,  a bag or two of brown rice, barely, etc. and of course salt, and pepper, and maybe some granulated garlic, and some Cajun powder.  Makes what you "HAVE" to eat, a little more palatable.  Some C02 containers, filled with black powder, and a four inch length of cannon fuse inserted into the neck, and secured with rubber cement, makes a great signaling device.....maybe not legal......plus it is a great fishing tool..... ::) definitely not legal..... can be used in the day or night when something BIG is in the close vicinity of you...... and you don't want to have to shoot it, but it can cause a fire, and make sure you are sheltered from shrapnel.  Don't ask me how I know this..... ::)  Anyway, you can add subtract from any of the suggestions, and from the others, just pick what you find useful, and discard the rest.  Most of all, knowledge, perseverance, and never ever panic!  Even if a Griz has just decided that you and your sleeping look like a burrito! :o :P  Sleep with your pistol!  Shoot till you are empty, and then grab the shot gun/rifle etc., and empty that, then your knives,  If that doesn't work, it is OK to panic a ........little. ;) Try to keep it as light as possible, and just the basic necessities to survive, and be comfortable .  As stated before, a good supply of meds you need, Vitamin C, good for fighting infections, preventing infection, high doses, like 5 -10,000, will get rid of pretty much any baddie that gets in your system, like cold, flu, etc., good for leg cramps after hiking, potassium, good for leg cramps, magnesium, good for that also, and good for for heart .  Vitamin d3, good for fighting infections, keeping healthy, good for the heart, and just every other organ.  Take Magnesium with it, to help absorb it, and also Vitamin K2.  D3 helps to build up bone mass, but limits the fibro blast that tear down the bone material, from working as well, and limits the flexibility of the bone material, so you may have nice thick bones, but they are brittle.  K2 prevents this, and regulates the normal function of the bone material, and so they are healthy, and strong.  Sorry, I will get off my health wagon.   Also aspirin, good for painful tooth aches, just let it dissolve on the bad tooth gum line, put it on cuts, to ease the pain, and a bottle or two of Australian Tea tree oil, and some Neosporin antibiotics.  The Tea Tree oil is like a medicine chest in a small bottle.  It is the strongest anti bacterial, and fungal medicine you can buy without a prescription!  Just don't get in your eyes, or in your mucus membranes.  Food grade peppermint oil, good for mouth rinse, put a couple of drops in your mouth, and a little water, and swish well.  Good for ear aches, just a SMALL drop in the ear.  Can be diluted, and then make it stronger as needed for ear aches. It is also has antibiotic properties.  Good for upset stomach, eating too much.  Take some tea bags also, and you can put a couple drops of peppermint oil on the tea bag, and then pour the hot water in the cup with the tea bag, cover, and let steep.  Will settle your stomach, calms the intestines, etc.  Can be used while in a hot steaming tea, to breath, to clear clogged sinuses.  A drop of tea tree oil, under the nose will do the same.    Make sure the Tea tree oil is 100% pure alternafolia.  No alcohol added!  Think of what "Could" happen, and try to plan for that.  Oh, and if you don't have a water proof back pack, or cover for it, put a doubled heavy duty plastic bag in the back pack.   Cell phone, is optional, of course, and if you don't want to be found, turn off your GPS function on your phone.  If you take your phone, take a charger, for those times when you can get to an outlet to charge it.  KOA grounds, parks, etc. Oh, and get a concealed carry license if you can, and learn what states are reciprocal with your state, and what their restrictions are. ;)
                                                   Wayne   
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 04:35:40 am by stickbender »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 03:05:39 pm »
I know it is christmas but you can only have 10.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Grunt

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 10:39:52 pm »
fire, water, shelter, food, and a good box of cigars.

Offline bow101

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 11:42:45 pm »
Did I miss something here...! I read most of the posts, or so I thought I did.
How 'bout having a couple Bows & arrows... :laugh:         
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 04:48:55 am »

No, Scrooge says you can only have ten items!  >:(
So no bows or arrows, then you wouldn't be able to take much of anything else.  One bow, six arrows, you only get three more items.  knife, fire starter kit, blanket.
I guess you could trade three arrows, and get a hammock, a pot for boiling water, and cooking, a canteen, and small light weight water proof tarp.  ;)  Me, I would skip the bow and arrows, and take a .22, and a big bore, and a brick of ammo for the .22, and a hundred rounds for the big bore. I could look for materials for a bow and arrow. ;)
                                                    "Merry Christmas"

Wayne

Offline nlester

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 08:52:51 am »
Thanks to all the replies.  I did say 10 item limit, but......everyone had such good ideas so out with the limit of 10.  Whatever someone thinks is needed, I think they should list it.  ;)