Author Topic: first handrill fire  (Read 14258 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: first handrill fire
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 09:16:37 am »
Weirdos Anonymous ;D Meets Everyday
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 05:38:08 pm »
I think that's a really smart way to put it- support group. We all support each other's crazy, caveman like tendancies ;D.

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 08:57:28 pm »
Ooga booga. Yeah, a support group - no one else gets us. We can be like primitive goths, sitting around muttering and eating meat burned in a fire in our cave.

Speaking of weirdness, I've rough cut out the ash stand parts for my Roman "scorpian" catapulta. It's only a 2000 year old design, so it isn't paleo, but I had to brag somewhere.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Kegan

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 08:04:14 pm »
Ha, I like that ;D. But we do more than mutter, there's usually alot of cursing from smashed fingers and a genreal grunt of agreement when some one thumps something on the head with a rock or stick :D. Pretty cool crowd to me ;). Now where's my rock?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 12:00:19 am »
I thought I was weird making fires with a bow drill for no reason.  I just wanted to see if I could do it and it was a great feeling. I got it in my head from watching the movie castaway of all things. But a hand drill must be a lot harder. Good job succeeding.  Im sure you must have felt like giving up a few times. I know I spent a good 6 hours trying to get my first bow drill fire. The second one was like 1 minute.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

bowdog62010

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 12:10:43 pm »
Still working on mine. Just another wierd-O. Horse weed isn't that the stuff that is soft and pithy in the middle. Seems it would crush or am I useing too much force.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 03:10:13 pm »
I have a horse weed arrow that Jamie put through a doe last year and the only thing missing is the point. Horse weed, dog fennel and goldenrod, once dried, are stronger than you would think.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bowdog62010

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 08:19:17 pm »
Reading some of the previous threads, I have gathered that it must be harvested and dried before it becomes soft. I have been trying to use an oak fire board. I will return the favor to Jeff for that helpful advice thanks.

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 09:43:34 pm »
I don't trust anybody who isn't wierd.

Same here.
:D
Doug from Missouri