Author Topic: No debate ... just sharing my opinion  (Read 12136 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: No debate ... just sharing my opinion
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 11:50:14 am »
The thing that aways gets me in this kind of a dialogue is the "guy" has a car that burns gas or batteries that go to a landfill or shoes or clothes made from petroleum products. These are not renewable resources. Roads are made with oil and lots of it, these guys drive on these roads everyday. Trapping however works in harmony with nature if the laws are followed. If you want to be hippie green you need to wake up and look at what your signing onto. How much gas does it take to get a "green" pair of shoes to your house when you order them? I think it makes people feel good that they are green but many are just taken advantage of by advertising. I guess what I am saying is if it is renewable then it is green and that is a good thing in my book. A snake covered quiver is better for the environment than one made from plastic.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 12:52:29 pm »
John makes a good point.  And I am a greenie!

What is more environmentally friendly...a pair of plastic crocs, made from irreplaceable and finite petrochemicals, brought out of the ground in a country where they steadfastly refuse environmental regulation because it cuts into oil revenue. 

Or a pair of leather boots/shoes, made of cowhide grown on a cow that has been fed corn raised in huge monoculture agri-wasteland, fertilized with tons of artificial nutrient (again, petrochemical based), sprayed with pesticides (whoa, petrochemical based again) that contaminates water sources and have an unintended by-kill of good insects estimated 8-10x greater than the "bad" insects?

Needless to say, there is no perfect answer.  As for me, I have found several really nice bullsnakes in the last few years.  I immediately caught them up, looked 'em over for flaws in the hides...and then turned them loose because I cannot make myself kill one of these sweethearts.  I'll pick up a roadkill though!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 01:39:56 pm »
John makes a good point.  And I am a greenie!

What is more environmentally friendly...a pair of plastic crocs, made from irreplaceable and finite petrochemicals, brought out of the ground in a country where they steadfastly refuse environmental regulation because it cuts into oil revenue. 

Or a pair of leather boots/shoes, made of cowhide grown on a cow that has been fed corn raised in huge monoculture agri-wasteland, fertilized with tons of artificial nutrient (again, petrochemical based), sprayed with pesticides (whoa, petrochemical based again) that contaminates water sources and have an unintended by-kill of good insects estimated 8-10x greater than the "bad" insects?

Needless to say, there is no perfect answer.  As for me, I have found several really nice bullsnakes in the last few years.  I immediately caught them up, looked 'em over for flaws in the hides...and then turned them loose because I cannot make myself kill one of these sweethearts.  I'll pick up a roadkill though!
Well!!! much better said than I ever could! I dont back my bows with snakes. If I only killed snakes for skins where do you think the meat and bones would go....BACK TO NATURE and that benefits just another part of nature. OIL products don't they create a poor environment for nature. The whole idea of AP is a "back to nature" concept and being connected to nature. I agree with Scott that this community has a much greater respect for nature because of our connection to it than most people. We walk on rocks, touch trees/plants, and look at animals with a very different insight because we "are" informed.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 01:51:56 pm »
I guess my real point was, whatever you use in this life....use it up, mend it, use it some more, mend it again and again until there ain't nothing left to mend, then use it for patches on the next.  THAT is the greenest thing you can do.  Starve the landfill, save the planet.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2012, 02:31:25 pm »
I for one could be better at that for sure jw!

Offline Roy

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 04:35:59 pm »
I do the green thing too. After drinking a few beers, I run down to the food plot and take a piss.  Even pissed on a couple of snakes once. >:D

Just sharing my opinion guys. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:16:54 pm by Roy »

Offline agd68

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 11:02:53 am »
Hey guy's! first of all merry Christmas to everyone!

But the important thing here to me is that YOU HORRIBLY CHEAPEN THE MEANING OF THE WORD GENOCIDE by applying it to the killing of snakes.

Jim Davis

Why is that Jim. Genocide is the wiping out of a particualr gene pool. The  destruction of a species is as legitamate a case of genocide as the destruction of a particular race or ethnicity. We are only one species in the circle . He obviously feels very strongly about the subject. You can disagree with him but dont accuse the guy of trying to cheapen anything.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:19:50 am by agd68 »
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2012, 10:47:21 am »
Of all creatures on earth, snakes are the among the LAST thing I would have trouble killing.   :)

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2012, 06:50:46 pm »
I have a very unhealthy fear of snake that in its self for me is a reason to help one stop breathing. to each their own but this forum is probably not the place to go all save the snakes on..... Just Sayin.
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2012, 11:27:33 pm »
let's just put it this way i hate snakes, i let bullsnakes and non-dangerous snakes go unless it has a nice pattern and is really big then i put it on a bow mostly because it is to my thinking the perfect camo as well as rain protection for my sinew backed bows. i kill all rattle snake no matter if it's 6" or 5 1/2' i've been struck at by rattlers while fixing fence and i also have fang marks on my antelope decoy where a rattler struck while hunting antelope.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2012, 05:58:12 pm »
Love skins on bows,Way to keep it civil,  ;) ;D This place amazes me, :o anywhere else you might go this would have got ugly,Have a great New Year. ;D ;D  Got to go, putting sealer over some Copper Head skins on an Osage bow right now. >:D  ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2012, 06:07:19 pm »
Dang it pappy, I need two copperheads. Want to trade? ;D