Author Topic: i've set myself a challenge with some scrap yew  (Read 2140 times)

Offline danny f

i've set myself a challenge with some scrap yew
« on: December 20, 2012, 09:32:04 am »
hi all,
 i had a length of yew in the house that i cut a while ago,  it was about 6ft long,  i had it cut with a bandsaw at the local woodyard as it was twisted.  anyway he cut it wrong and in the middle there was no heart wood so i decided i would cut that bit out and splice the other 2 together, it is now 57" tip to tip,and 1.5" wide.  its the first time i have done anything like this and only my 3rd bow. there is a fair bit of deflex in it so i will have to  flip the tips.  does any of you more experienced people think it will work or is it doomed from the start. the only thing that really worries me is there is a knot that is in the side and comes out of the belly. heres some pics.

Offline danny f

Re: i've set myself a challenge with some scrap yew
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:35:34 am »
heres the knot

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:18:37 am »
I reckon it doesn't matter if it works or not, you will learn a huge amount working that bow.
A couple of suggestion:-
The natural deflex is possibly a good thing, get it partly tillered (maybe up to brace) before thinking of flippin the tips.
If you don't have much heart wood then remove sapwood from the back down to about 3/16" but do it slow and carefull as the heart sap boundary can dip and change just across the width of the bow.
That weird splice you've done will probably benefit from a thin sapwood patch over the back and some heartwood built up over the belly for extra security.
Keep you limbs wide at the tips until she's nearly done to help string line adjustment.
I think that 'scrap' bows can be some of the most rewarding as it frees you up to try new stuff without the worry that you are going to ruin a precious stave.
Have fun and keep us posted. ;D
I think that knot looks loose. I'd pick at it until it pops out (or tap it out with a punch if it will waggle) and fill it with a plug of Yew heartwood. You can rough aout a plug and then stick it in an electric drill and hold a file/rasp against it to get it round.
Del
PS. Here's a link to thefirst post at the start of a primitive Yew bow I did on my blog ages ago. It had V little heart wood to play with so may be of interest. I also steam bend it a bit so that might be useful too.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/primitive-yew-bow.html
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 10:27:28 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline danny f

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:59:20 am »
cheers del, thats one of the reasons i decided to have a go at it for the experience, i have straight ash boards that i could do but i like to try different stuff. and i love bows that look out of the ordinary,   yes the splice is abit strange lol. i was going to glue some heartwood on to build up the riser  and to give extra strength  i may do a sapwood patch to if i can find some lying around in my cave. i will post pics as i go along  thanks danny.

Offline danny f

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:24:02 pm »
i have taken it down to 5/8ths now the sapwood is 1/4" would i be better taking the sapwood down abit more so i have more heartwood or is this ok. what sort of thickness will a bow like this end up if i aim for about 40-50pound. thanks.

Offline danny f

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 01:50:02 pm »
i have now reduced the bow to half inch thickness, and neatened the splice up and added a riser block. i have taken some sapwood out over the splice and am goin to patch it. the limbs are 1.5" wide straight down, i have to steam them to get them in line. should i do it while the limbs are this wide or should i reduce them abit? i have never done this before so advice is appreciated. heres a few pics.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 02:57:45 pm »
Where you've cut away the sapwood on the back of the splice you've left rather sharp corners, which is something you generally want to avoid.
If you blend it in like this pic, you can overlay a nice curved piece of sapwood which will blend it all in and strengthen it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 03:27:39 pm »
Looks like a good start.  You have the right mentor here.   O:)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline danny f

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 06:01:54 am »
thanks del and carson. 

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 01:57:22 pm »
I agree, dels the guy to talk to about these "Mad Scientist Bows"
And if you haven't read his blog, you should.

I would peg & wrap that handle splice though.
-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline danny f

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 06:42:01 pm »
I agree, dels the guy to talk to about these "Mad Scientist Bows"
And if you haven't read his blog, you should.

I would peg & wrap that handle splice though.
-Pinecone
yep dels been a good help to me on this forum. i have read his blog it is very good. as for pegging and wrapping i now have 2 pieces of yew again. the araldite give way while i was steaming and straightening today. i think the steam softened it as the riser popped off too.  i will have to re glue and try again and will peg it this time. >:( :(

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 10:35:32 pm »
Oh well that's no good.
Resurface the splice and continue on :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 12:15:40 am »
The hard fought battles Are the ones you remember and learn from... Forge ahead , I can't wait to see this 1 turn out ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...