Author Topic: Thickness sander jig for laminates/backings?  (Read 8765 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Thickness sander jig for laminates/backings?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 10:30:11 am »
Thanks for the advice lost arrow.

EDIT: Do you guys have any advice for cutting out laminates on a bandsaw?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:06:02 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 03:09:21 pm »
Go on google or youtube and find a tutorial on setting up your bandsaw for cutting veneers. Your saw has to be tuned properly and you need the right blade. A wider one with about 3-4 tpi (I like the hook style ) There are likely lots of tutorials with pics or videos that will be easier to follow than any longwinded explanation I might give you.If you are looking for tapered lams you will have to make a fence with a sled or jig. 

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 02:00:39 am »

Is there a reason for not using a planer? I planed some hickory to 1/8" two days ago and was planning to use it for backing ...

Just a word of caution. A thin piece of wood will buckle slightly between the infeed and outfeed rollers . The resulting buckle sometimes (especially on tricky grain ,knots, brittle wood etc.)will cause the blades to grab and eject ,with explosive force , wood shrapnel. If it's just the wood, you are lucky. Sometimes  it's the blades too! (rare  ,but I've seen it ) 

I hope I didn't sound like I was lecturing. I just want to make sure you guys can keep making bows and using them . It's harder to do that if you are missing didgets/eyes or dead.  :o . I've worked in wood shops all my life, from Mom and Pop to industrial, and seen my share of accidents. Unfortunately it isn't always the guy that  makes the mistakes that gets hurt, it's sometimes the guy working behind him.

Good luck with your lams, go slow and work safe.
   Dave
I havent ever had a any of the inlays incite on the planer kick out. Its a 12" Grizzly with a fairly large and wide bed, maybe that helps?

[/quote]

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 11:38:47 pm »
Mostly it depends on the wood itself Kevin, but you are right, the 12" planers usually have a soft rubber feed roller and a smooth uninterrupted bed. I have had it happen to me on small 12" planers with pieces that were still 1/4 - 5/16" thick. All it takes is a bit of squirrely grain. The blades on my planer were heavy resharpenable blades (less likely to explode)  some planers have small ,thin dispoable blades. When they go they really go. I'm hoping it never happens to you but knowing now that it could , might keep it fresh in your head to avoid standing directly  in front of the planer.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 02:07:34 pm »
The grizzlie has heave resharpenable blades. i have two sets :)
I always stand to the side of the planer. And I avoid squirrelly grain even when not making backing, too much tear out.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 03:53:45 pm »
Glad to hear it Kevin. We all take a risk when using tools. If we know the possible outcomes we can usually mitigate the or at least minimise the danger.Standing clear is always a good rule of thumb ;)