Author Topic: The effect of overall arrow weight within hunting distances....  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Stonedog

The effect of overall arrow weight within hunting distances....
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:32:58 pm »
I am sure this has been covered, so I am sorry if it has....and if it has can you direct me to the post?

Any whooooo.....in all honesty, if we call hunting range 30 yards or less, what do you think total arrow weight has on accuracy......say if there is a 25 +/- difference...

I once read an article, from the 50's (I think), that the Howard Hill Archery Co. (or maybe it was HH himself) did a test like mentioned above and found that their was a negligible difference in accuracy.

Thoughts?
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: The effect of overall arrow weight within hunting distances....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:31:28 pm »
So if you had a dozen arrows and the range for total weight within the dozen was within 25 grains, no I dont think you would notice much difference than if you were shooting a dozen arrows of exact same weight.  Depends on what total weight your hunting arrows are too.  If you shoot 450 grn arrows a 25 grn range is greater than a 25 grn range within a dozen arrows of 750 grn weight average.   
 It also depends on your accuracy/consistency as a shooter.  If you are an olympic target level shooter, than you would probably notice a difference of 25 grn in your arrows. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 02:19:26 am »
For hunting purposes I can't see 25 grains making much difference at all. The arrows are typically heavier than target arrows and the targets tend to be relatively large. Plus there are other variables out in the field such as wind patterns that would have a larger affect on arrows than small weight changes.

But for more advanced target shooting under controlled conditions, you might notice a measurable difference

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:59:13 am »
 My belief is we strive for matching bullets for our bows because it breed's confidence within us. If we "know" every arrow is the same as the next we will shoot better. My guess is we have proven to ourselves enough times over that a variance up front of 20-30 grains really doesnt do much of anything, maybe make quiet the bow ever so slightly. Now if a guy went from 125 gr up to 175 or 190 grain he will see and feel a difference.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.