Author Topic: checking in the side of a bow?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

checking in the side of a bow?
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:42:32 pm »
Hey guys anybody ever get checking cracks in the side of a limb? I'm buildin a hickory self bow and I sealed the back and ends. I already have it roughly tillered and I noticed some checking cracks near the handle on the side of one limb. Never seen that happen before but i'm thinking that maybe I'm tring to rush the drying process to fast. Doesn't seem to be spreading so I hope they are ok! any of you guys have any experience with this?

Offline medicinewheel

Re: checking in the side of a bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:13:26 pm »
Had checkings in the core layer of a bamboo sandwich; was black walnut and it probably had a week spot right there, but the bow still shoots as good as ever.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:21:21 pm »
Yeah it doesn't seem like it wil be a problem to me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:19:49 am »
Lee, checking in the side of the stave is probably wind shakes. This happens to the tree in windy conditions where the growth rings seperate due to the stress from the wind twisting the tree.  It can be fatal in a bow but not necessarily to the tree. You might add super glue to help prevent any more opening of the checks.  I've never seen a drying check inthe side of a stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:24:29 am »
Oh ok that is what wind shakes are! heard of them. I will add super glue. Hope they don't become an issue. They are pretty short. Reason I thought they were checks was because they opened up when I heat treated the belly.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 12:38:34 am »
They will open when the wood is heated because it shrinks. That is a good time to add the super glue.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC