Author Topic: Question about making knives from edger blades?  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Question about making knives from edger blades?
« on: January 02, 2013, 07:20:18 pm »
Hi guys,

When you make knives out of edger blades, do you need to temper the steel or will it hold a good edge as is as long as the blade is not heated too much during shaping? I have seen build along's where the edger blade is simply shaped, sharpened, and scales are glued on and am curious if it is just that simple?

Jon

Offline Adam

Re: Question about making knives from edger blades?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »
That's what I did.  I was very careful never to let the steel get too hot though.  As long as it you keep it warm enough to comfortably handle, the temper should stay.  Just take it slow when you're cutting and filing and you should be good to go.  I'm not an expert, but I got a lot of advise from people on here who are.  Have fun, it's a great project!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:45:47 am »
Jon, I made a few knives from edger blades I got from Jonathan Creason. He had already anealed the steel so it was soft enough to cut out blades with a cold chisel and clean up and shape the blades with a file. After I got the blades shaped and a initial sharpening I cooked them in a 400deg oven for 3 or 4 hours then let it cool slowly over night. It worked very well for my first 2 knives.
 I don't know what color he heated them to to aneal them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:52:25 am »
I've never made a knife from an edger blade, but I've made many edger blades from mild steel.  ??? ::) Good luck and have fun with it Jon. How's the leg healin up? dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 01:06:39 pm »
Edger blades are made of a very high carbon steel the best way ive done it is to bring the steel up to non magnetic and let it cool on the coals overnight. It then should be very easy to cut. when its shaped get it hot again and quech it in oil.. Prefferably transmission oil or vegetable oil. Then temper your steel.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:57:25 pm »
if you don't get it hot, it'll be fine, I've made several and they hold an edge well, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹