Author Topic: HISTORY CHANNEL HELP!  (Read 4505 times)

Offline eatsnax

HISTORY CHANNEL HELP!
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:14:16 pm »
Hello all my name is Mike I am the associate producer for Swamp People on History Channel. I need your help please.

We are working on a small historical piece about garfish and parlaying it with how native Americans once used gar scales and bones and fashioned them as arrow heads. This is where I hope y'all come in! We need pictures that can be cleared (meaning you own them or know who does and they can be signed for). Pictures of gar scales that are fashioned into arrow heads.

Also any leads on historians who possibly have access to authentic arrows or pictures of some. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Offline kevinsmith5

Re: HISTORY CHANNEL HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:38 pm »
Wow, I kinda wanna see em too.

Offline eatsnax

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:46:44 pm »
You can do a search and find all kinds of pictures. But over here we need to clear pictures for use on TV.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:57:50 pm »
Try contacting Bryce.  In this post he says he killed a deer with a gar scale tipped arrow.  Maybe he can give you some pictures.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=32114.0
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:59:09 pm »
Or Swamp monkey.  He posted some pictures of them here.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=22292.0

Good luck, and I love the show.  I never miss an episode.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline eatsnax

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:28:53 pm »
Thanks guys! Anyone else with any leads please chime in. Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 12:24:09 am »
Have you checked with the Smithsonian or the Museum of the American Indians in Washington? Both have extensive NA archery artifacts. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ga6693

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 05:01:13 pm »
I have a friend that makes river cane arrows with gar scale points. He is extremely knowledgeable about the Southeastern Indian Culture and speaks the Creek language. I don't want to publish his name without his permission but can provide his contact information. My e-mail address is ga6693@hotmail.com if you are interested. 

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 05:18:17 pm »
Contact Billy Berger (billy) , he might be of some help as well since he is into the research aspect of it.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 11:21:01 pm »
How soon do you need the photos?  I could get some gar scales and make a few arrows but it will take a week or so depending on the mail.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 11:54:24 pm »
Claude VanOrder in Ocala, Fl. makes reproductions for local museums in Florida. He has some made up in his quiver the last time I saw them and I have his phone number.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:10:27 pm »
Eatsnax, sounds like  you  have enough photos for  a whole show on the history channel. Just show the same photos over and over and say the same things over and over like  they always do. >:D
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:37:50 pm »
Eatsnax maybe you can pass on some helpful hints. i tend to agree with asharrow, the editing has made the show almost unwatchable for me.  I used to love it and watch every episode but the way you guys edit the fights and show clips of gators they arent even fighting ruins it for me.  You guys should just show the actual fights.  I understand they are trying to dramatize it as much as possible but I firmly believe that shortens the lifetime of every reality show because it stops being reality and people realize it.  Anyway just my two cents but I hope you really pass it on.

By the way I also have some gar scales I could whip up some arrows with if you need the pics.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline eatsnax

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 04:51:52 pm »
Eatsnax maybe you can pass on some helpful hints. i tend to agree with asharrow, the editing has made the show almost unwatchable for me.  I used to love it and watch every episode but the way you guys edit the fights and show clips of gators they arent even fighting ruins it for me.  You guys should just show the actual fights.  I understand they are trying to dramatize it as much as possible but I firmly believe that shortens the lifetime of every reality show because it stops being reality and people realize it.  Anyway just my two cents but I hope you really pass it on.

By the way I also have some gar scales I could whip up some arrows with if you need the pics.

Yeah we have no say in how things are done. The network has their say in everything.

Can you please send me any pictures you have of gar scales to focalpointefilms@gmail.com thank you!

Offline eatsnax

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 04:56:37 pm »
How soon do you need the photos?  I could get some gar scales and make a few arrows but it will take a week or so depending on the mail.

Thanks Jack. The sooner the better. A week is fine. We just need good pictures to show during t he segment. You can send them to this email. focalpointefilms@gmail.com