Author Topic: Snakeskin different color on each limb?  (Read 1892 times)

cool_98_555

Snakeskin different color on each limb?
« on: August 02, 2016, 01:33:03 am »
Hello everyone,

I just put some skins I ordered on a bow I really like.  The guy sent me two of the same species, but the skins don't match perfectly in terms of color.  One is dark orange/black and the other is a lighter, richer orange/black.  I'll post pictures when I'm done with the bow.  I'm just wondering if any of you have applied snakeskins that were slightly mismatched in color on both limbs.  I'm trying to convince myself that it actually isn't that different and it looks pretty nice, but i'm not sure what to think at this point.  It would be nice to see some other bows like this.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Snakeskin different color on each limb?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:13:28 am »
Always lay them on the limbs before gluing them down. That way you can dust a little water or alcohol based stain on one or the other to get them better matched, if they aren't.  I have made plenty that didn't match. If it was going to somebody else I would be sure they matched. For me? Not so much. Its just camo.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 06:52:43 am »
Many times, after you add a handle wrap the difference is hard to notice.

It happens... More than you realize.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 08:47:23 am »
I made a bow with three different copperhead skins spliced together on the back, none of the colors matched. I used some brown leather dye diluted with denatured alcohol and a fine artist's brush to build up the colors until they matched.

cool_98_555

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 02:55:37 pm »
I already have the skins glued on the bow now.  However, I haven't applied the finish yet (tru-oil).  Can you put the leather dye on after it is glued on the bow?  I have some scrap pieces that I cut off because the skins were a bit too long.  I could practice on those scrap pieces, right?

Thanks for the advice guys!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 03:36:21 pm »
I matched my skins after they were put on the bow and dried, before I applied the tru-oil finish.

You do what is called dry brushing; draw a line on the skin with one brush and go over your line with a dry brush to spread the dye out and blend it into the lighter areas.  You push the dry brush straight down in a daubing motion, side to side to get the blended effect.

Practice on some scraps is a good idea. You could practice dry brushing on a scrap of poster paper to get the hang of it. You might dip the dry brush in alcohol if your leather dye dries too quickly.   
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:43:57 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 06:04:37 pm »
great advice,, just stain them to match,, when you put the finish on I think they will look great

cool_98_555

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 12:34:35 am »
Does it matter if it's acrylic leather dye or not?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 08:13:07 am »
I have only used the aniline type, no acrylics.