Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 847358 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1050 on: May 10, 2013, 08:17:52 pm »
He could not find his hanky....so he had to stay close to the tissue paper..

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1051 on: May 10, 2013, 08:20:27 pm »
That was a good one OO  :) :)  And I didn't get to meet Roy
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1052 on: May 10, 2013, 09:46:47 pm »
That's because he wasn't allowed to go  >:D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1053 on: May 10, 2013, 09:53:08 pm »
I qota ask..............Have you ever met Roy  face to face????
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1054 on: May 10, 2013, 10:08:23 pm »
Thankfully, no  :o       ;D

Maybe one day he will drag his old behind down to the Classic and hang out with us.  Something tells me he is a really nice guy once you get past the grouchiness.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #1055 on: May 10, 2013, 10:38:22 pm »
I don't know what all the hub bub is about with the rain? ???  I tracked a little mud in my "tent", but for the most part, it stayed dry as a bone inside the whole time I was there >:D. Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1056 on: May 10, 2013, 11:23:57 pm »
Same here, Gun Doc.  My "tent" was as snug as a hunting cabin!
   O:)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Roy

« Reply #1057 on: May 11, 2013, 09:50:25 am »
I'll get there someday, Clint. I wanna arm wrestle ole Pearly boys gun ships:)

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1058 on: May 11, 2013, 09:53:28 am »
Just trying to post pics.
Got these two and a sack of mushrooms two weeks ago, the bow is a short osage I made a few months ago from a belly split , it's 48 1/2" ttt and 47 1/2" ntn pulls 40 pounds at 20"  . It's a nice little bow to carry around and was handy for bow fishing .

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1059 on: May 11, 2013, 11:00:14 am »
Looks like you had a great day.  Nice job on the fish and shrooms.  Sweet bow too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:18:22 am by osage outlaw »

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1060 on: May 11, 2013, 11:14:31 am »
Thanks , still haven't figured out photobucket but did find a way to compres photos by posting them on another sight then saving the photo on my phone.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #1061 on: May 12, 2013, 09:29:08 am »
Clint, them are some nice coral snake skins.  Good for you!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1062 on: May 12, 2013, 12:55:13 pm »
Been a busy week for me in the NDN Museum. Lots of folks, a torrential deluge for 45 minutes (about 2+inches of water) in a very limited area, about a half square mile. Made some points gave some away to NDN elders and some to other folks who shared some good story and were willing to sit there and watch me make a point. A good friend also named Ben and his wife come up every year and he has been by to visit the past three days so I made his wife some ear rings and him an obsidian bear claw. Today it is supposed to be 80 at 4000'. Good thing the museum has AC!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1063 on: May 12, 2013, 05:00:04 pm »
I was up at 3:15, dressed in linen hunting shirt, linsey-woolsey hunting frock over that, kneebreeches and woolen stockings, woolen leggings and moccasins.  A handwoven woolen sash around the waist and a grey felt slouch hat on my head.  Tomahawk in the sash against my lower back and a belt knife on the left side.  I scooped up the .62 flintlock smoothbore charged with a ounce and an eighth of #5 shot and 75 grains of FFg Dupont powder with one hand and the horn and shot pouch with the other.

At 3:35 I was silently slipping into the woods.  Moccasined feet coming down on the balls of my feet and rolling softly to quiet my steps as I moved like a shadow amongst fellow shadows.  Once I stopped when a muley doe snorted her disapproval. I asked her forgiveness and told her she was not who I was looking for.  She turned and faded deeper into the jackpines, heavy with a pair of fawns in her belly. 

The deer trail I stole along is one I have covered hundreds of times, most often in the dark like this.  I know it's twists and turns by heart.  At the top of the ridge I paused sucking great gulps of wind hoping to calm the trip-hammer in my chest.  More empty vows to be in better shape next spring were bitten off before they slipped out my lips uselessly.  When I could breath again quietly I slipped from one tree to another with as little motion as possible until I was a mere 50 yds from a roost site.

The birds were lit by the approaching dawn, skylit and silhouetted, allowing me to count them and guess which was hen and which was gobbler.  Soft tree yelps from one to another, a turkey's sleepy "G'morning' flockmates".  One after another woke and stretched wings and legs, preparing for a morning fly-down.  I primed the pan of my flintlock as seruptitously as possible, having forgotten that necessary chore.  No alarm putts, the forest floor was still too shadowed for them to see me clearly enough.  Just another shadow amongst fellow shadows.

By legal shooting time they were in a dither up in that roost.  Yelping and putting hens punctuated by one really strident gobbler, noisy as all hell, and me as happy as I could get.   I gave off a few yelps myself on a cane yelper made by Eric Krewson.  Eventually one hen couldn't wait to get to the strutting grounds.  Two or three more hens pitched down and I was envisioning a very happy ending very soon. 

The gobbler was turning around and around on his branch, trying to decide on the best way to launch when a loud crack of a breaking branch stopped everything.  The hen's heads came up in unison, we all stopped breathing.  All was silent.  Iroquois? French Canadian raiding party?  Or just a doe not careful where she stepped.  The boss hen gave a few alarm putts, her girlfriends picked up the alarm and they all faded back into the jackpines.  The remaining hens, two jakes and the gobbler flushed from the treetops and headed across the valley to the next ridgeline.  I willed myself to hold even closer to the mature pine at my back. 

Another crack, quieter, followed by silence.  The air was split by a very poor imitation of a crow.  Hostiles!  In my woods, hostiles!  A good morning in the woods just got more serious.  Life and death serious.  If there were here, they were carrying and were loaded.

I judged them to be about 80 yds away.  I rolled away from the tree and belly crawled over the edge of the ridgeline and hot-footed it to the bottom of the ravine.  I quickly doubled back around below and behind the intruder or intruders. 

Half an hour of slipping from tree to tree heading back out of the woods and I was sure I had not been seen nor followed.  At the edge of the treeline I paused.  A pickup with loud pipes came careening down the asphalt and I was remorselessly jolted back to the 21st Century. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:24:21 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #1064 on: May 12, 2013, 05:40:48 pm »
Very nice story JW! Wish it werent so true...

Scott