Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 847019 times)

Offline Marks

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1665 on: January 25, 2014, 08:35:15 pm »
They used to be extremely rare around here too but now I see them fairly regular. Last turkey season I would see 2 adults and 2 juvys nearly every time I went hunting. One day I hit my box call from on top of a hill and both the adults flew over and circled me a time or 2 then left. Then it remembered I had not seen any turkeys in the fields so far that season. Will a Eagle take down a turkey?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1666 on: January 25, 2014, 08:36:34 pm »
Does gobbler crap look like a cigarette butt?

Furthermore, does said gobbler crap in the woods?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seabass

« Reply #1667 on: January 25, 2014, 09:13:08 pm »
they will kill a turkey for sure.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1668 on: January 26, 2014, 08:53:19 am »
I FINALLY got the sinew on some heartwood yew billets hippy gave me at pappys place last spring. Took me a good while to talk me into getting it started. But its done now. The humidity is 23-25% up here. Those are turbo curing numbers.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1669 on: January 27, 2014, 09:59:34 am »
Wrapped up deer season yesterday, didn't see any deer Saturday and was about to give up at 11:00 Sunday morning when I heard running and grunting. A doe ran straight at me around a ridge with two bucks on her tail, I was checking out the bucks as they ran past to see if they were Mgt area legal( they weren't, had to have three points on a side) and thought all three deer ran just below the logging road I was on and down into the hollow.

I looked back the way the doe had run and there she was, looking at me from 10 yds away. I raised my flinter to "pick a spot" and saw she had stopped behind an old blow down that couldn't have covered her vitals any more perfectly. One more step and I would have had her but she whorled and was gone in a flash.

Not shooting her was probably a good thing, I had hiked back to "the land that time forgot" and would have had a tough time getting her out. Having the encounter was a good way to end the season.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1670 on: January 29, 2014, 03:27:09 pm »
Good ending Eric.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1671 on: January 29, 2014, 04:51:33 pm »
Nice ending Eric... I didn't shoot a deer once than looked how bad it looked getting her out... Easier to carry a bar-b-que down and eater there...

Got my plug done on my powder horn... Lttle more polishing she be ready for a strap.... Leaving the deep range marks in..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1672 on: January 30, 2014, 09:05:10 am »
This was from yesterday but I couldn't post it last night.   I found a small deer killed on our frozen pond.  I'm guessing they got it on the ice and it couldn't get enough footing to get away.  There were coyote tracks all around the pond.  There was one set of tracks that was a lot bigger than the rest.  The only thing they left was the stomach contents, some hide and leg bones.  I walked out and drug the hide and bones off the ice. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1673 on: January 30, 2014, 10:43:02 am »
Great looking horn Leroy!

The friend who started me on my flintlock journey gave me all his gear when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, here are his horns;

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1674 on: January 30, 2014, 10:54:54 am »
Beautiful horns Eric... Wonderful way to remember your freind..
Thanks Leroy

Offline lowell

« Reply #1675 on: January 30, 2014, 03:50:11 pm »
I brewed my first batch of homebrew beer today....now the waiting begins!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1676 on: January 30, 2014, 06:00:47 pm »
I answered the phone in the Public Information Office and watched it RAIN!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #1677 on: January 30, 2014, 08:20:01 pm »
Hooray for the rain, Ben.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1678 on: January 31, 2014, 10:25:01 am »
Had a belt sander meltdown while working on my knife >:(.... Squeeling and smoking can't be good.... Taking it apart tonight to see if I can replace the bearing.... Might have to go sander shopping  aarrrrgggghhhh
Thanks Leroy

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1679 on: January 31, 2014, 03:32:43 pm »
I went for a walk. Snowed a trace here in Yosemite Valley. About 6 inches higher up.