Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 840124 times)

Offline Marks

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2325 on: November 02, 2015, 11:11:48 am »
That is a good test to take with a buddy. Glad you are feeling stronger.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2326 on: November 13, 2015, 11:45:27 am »
Today I am scheduled to work with a co-worker on a GOOGLE 3-D project for class rooms. They are going to do some shooting and then set it up as a walk through program for classrooms - virtual field trips.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2327 on: November 13, 2015, 12:30:43 pm »
I'm heading to deer camp! I'll be gone all week. Missouri firearms deer season. Time for family and friends to fill the freezer!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2328 on: November 17, 2015, 10:01:07 pm »
Good luck Patrick.

Today I took my daughter out hunting again.  She missed a spike Saturday evening from a ground blind.  We were in a couple of stands today.  We had a black chow walk by dragging a chain.  It scared off a couple of deer.  We are going back out Saturday morning.  I am really hoping she gets her first deer this season.  She is learning fast and does really well in the stand.  She holds still and doesn't make noise.  She spotted both deer before I did tonight.  She is showing great potential to be a good hunter. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2329 on: November 17, 2015, 10:13:04 pm »
Congratulation to you and your daughter Clint......Not many fathers have their kids in the deer stand these days,  good for you my friend......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2330 on: November 17, 2015, 10:18:24 pm »
Thanks Bill.  She has showed more interest than the boys have this year.  I'm hoping she gets a shot at one Saturday.  She is using the same gun I killed my first one with.  Its my Dad's old Stevens single shot 16 gauge. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2331 on: November 17, 2015, 10:20:47 pm »
Pass it on .....that a way to do it  :)
Bill
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #2332 on: November 17, 2015, 11:48:18 pm »
I got a good feeling she gets it done Clint, good luck Saturday
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2333 on: November 18, 2015, 02:18:57 am »
Thanks Clint! Good luck to little miss outlaw! Hold that ol 16 gauge tight to the shoulder and squeeeeze the trigger! Then tell dad thanks for taking you hunting and for the bruised shoulder.  Man them old guns sure pack a wallop, on both ends!
Patrick 
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2334 on: November 18, 2015, 08:49:43 am »
A friend of mine has two daughters and a son, the oldest daughter is the only one that took an interest in hunting. When she got married a couple of years ago her future husband asked her when to schedule the wedding, she replied, "after the rut", what a gal!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2335 on: November 19, 2015, 02:43:30 pm »
Shot a big buck this morning, I forgot to hold low, deer react by dropping when they hear the first click of a hammer falling on a flintlock. I think I hit him just above the spine, he went down like a sack of potatoes but got up and ran off like nothing happened. Three hours of searching turned up a couple small drops of blood and no deer. I suspect he will live but hate to let one get away.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2336 on: November 19, 2015, 02:57:49 pm »
That's a tough one Eric.. Sounds like you were below the spine above the lungs.. Knocked the wind outta him... Freind of mine calls that 'no man's land'.. He'll be back coupla days
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Marks

« Reply #2337 on: November 19, 2015, 04:14:09 pm »
Its not easy to shoot low on purpose. I'm waiting around to get another look at a doe I hit in the shoulder bone a few weeks ago. Got very little penetration so I hope she is still kicking. I hate not bringing home a shot deer.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2338 on: November 19, 2015, 04:22:01 pm »
That's tough `to swallow Eric. My TC Hawken "clicks" damn loud when I pull the hammer back, I cant make it any less audible anyway I try to pull it pack. Couple that with my set trigger click and its tough business to get a clean shot off. I think my next shot I will be fully aimed and ready when I pull the hammer back, the deer should stop for a second.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2339 on: November 20, 2015, 09:50:22 am »
Pretty sure you can pull the front trigger on a TC and cock it soundlessly then release the front trigger while holding the hammer back. You still have to set it but the set has less of a click. You can set it off without setting it by pulling the front trigger but the trigger pull will be hard. You can go completely to the front trigger by adjusting the little screw between the triggers. I owned at least 6 TC rifles but that was along time ago and I may have my facts mixed up about the lock cocking operation.

My flintlock .54 has a single trigger, I can pull the trigger and cock it without a sound. When I sit on a stand I cock my rifle and put a leather cover over the fritzen so it can't spark. Lots easier to flip the leather frizzen stall off than to try to cock a rifle with a deer headed your way. 

I am retiring my .54 until I work some bugs out of it's operation. I will be using my .44 which has a lightning fast lock and ignition, deer never drop out from under it. I built the .54 so in the past it has had priority.

My .44 has a double set single phase trigger, you can't cock the hammer unless you set the trigger first. This was a rifle mainly for target use by the builder where setting the trigger wasn't a problem. Sitting in a treestand with a cocked lock with a hair trigger is kind of iffty. I have a frizzen cover for this rifle and sometimes put a toothpick in the touchole as well.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:08:35 am by Eric Krewson »