Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 846642 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2355 on: December 08, 2015, 01:12:36 am »
I can't wait to see your build along on this one Clint!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2356 on: December 09, 2015, 08:26:06 am »

I went Tn yesterday evening, one of those evenings we all dream about, almost.

This land is straight up and down, tall ridges and deep hollows. a buck came off the ridge chasing a doe about 45 minutes before dark and ran her grunting and bawling just out of sight right until almost dark.

I blew a grunt call a few times when I couldn't hear any action.

About 5 minutes before dark here he came, he was a 2 year old 7 or 8 point, nice rack. He stepped up on a logging road in front of my log blind at about 35 yards, it looked like a perfectly clear shot, BOOM.

He ran up the hill to about 75 yards and stopped looking around, I kept waiting for him to fall but he didn't. I looked him over with my binos and couldn't find a hole.

I decided to reload and shoot him "again". He heard me reloading my flinter and started walking toward me rubbernecking as he came in.

He stopped facing me at about 50 yards, I put the sight just above his brisket and touched it off. He ran up to the top of the ridge, I could hear him walking around in the leaves, I kept waiting for him to roll down the hill. It was getting dark about this time so I turned on my flashlight to pick up what I had dropped from my possible bag.

When I turned the light on he saw it and ran off snorting over the ridge, he snorted at least 10 times.

I followed his travel path, no blood at all.

I went back at daylight this morning and gave the area a through search and found no blood or dead deer. I guess I missed.

When I looked where I took the first shot I saw a tangle of saplings and vines that were invisible in the fading light, the second shot was clear for the most part but he was looking at me. I suspect he jumped the string.

That is the second shot at bucks I have taken in the last few weeks that were looking at me when I shot, both got out of the way before my gun went off.

I understand a deer can react in .02 seconds, my flinter probably went off in .04 seconds.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #2357 on: December 09, 2015, 10:51:18 am »
Eric:  Interesting... I recently experienced a similar event.  I shot a doe a couple of weeks ago.  I used my single shot 12ga shotgun.  She walked right to left and eventually stood broadside at about 70 yards; I put the crosshairs at the front (her left side) shoulder area and fired.  The deer collapsed immediately to the ground, which I found rather strange considering my shot placement.  I thought that maybe my shot went high and spined her or went left and hit her in the neck.  When I retrieved the doe, I was surprised to see the neither.  The slug entered her forehead straight on and exited behind her right eye. 

I don't recall her turning to face me at the last second before squeezing the trigger.  The shot was not rushed, I was calm and steady.  It somewhat disbelief, I reasoned that she turned her head/neck to face the direction of the sound of the shot, when then the slug met up with her forehead.  Considering the velocity of my cheap 12ga ammo, (1600 feet per second), I calculated the time it took for the slug to reach her which is .131 seconds.  If reaction time of .02 seconds is true, that would support my assumption.

As I write this however, I'm diving deeper into the science of it.  The speed of sound travels at 1125 feet per second (slower than the slug).  The slug would have met her before hearing the sound.  Even at 70 yards, the typical slug velocity slows to about 1300 fps.  Still quicker than the speed of sound.  So mathematically, she could not have heard the shot prior to the slug reaching her. 

Still believing that she knew it was coming, the final thought that I have is that she saw the shot.  I shot her just before dark; still shootable (legal) light but dark enough to "see" a muzzle flash.  Considering the speed of light at 983,000,000 fps, the light emitted from the flash would have reached her in .0000002 seconds.  So, maybe she saw rather than heard the shot...

Hard to believe.  Maybe she just turned, unnoticed by me.  Would have been nice to have it on video.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2358 on: December 10, 2015, 12:12:25 am »
I am sure the deer I missed reacted when my pan started to flash.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2359 on: December 14, 2015, 04:40:45 pm »
Went and dehaired and grained 2 buck hides today, Whew, not doing that again till the weather cool down. Middle of Dec. and lots of motorcycles out, most yrs. be riding snow mobile and ice fishin :o I'm not complaining have had a really nice fall, Bob

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2360 on: December 19, 2015, 07:40:27 pm »
Today I went to a Xavier University basketball game with the young man who is living with us.  Someone offered us free tickets and he is a huge sports fan so it was a great opportunity.  I'm not much of a college sports fan but it was fun watching the game.  He had a great time.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2361 on: December 19, 2015, 07:43:46 pm »
Good for you Clint..............I'm sure he appreciated your company.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #2362 on: December 19, 2015, 09:10:31 pm »
It's a great thing your doing Clint, and the young man is one lucky kid
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2363 on: December 25, 2015, 07:36:27 pm »
My son got a S&W M&P shield for Christmas.  We tried it out this afternoon.  It took him a while to get comfortable with it.  He was hitting very low.  I adjusted his grip and had him shooting good groups before we ran out out ammo. 

I got out my 44 mag. and let him shoot it a few times.  I love that gun.  I backed up to 40 yards and hit a gallon water jug with it first shot.

I was curious to see if 2" of osage would stop a 44 mag. bullet.  I don't think it even slowed them down.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2364 on: December 26, 2015, 12:52:14 am »
I hope that stave has worm holes or some other flaw besides the lead poisoning. Other than that looks like some fun outdoor stuff for you and your son.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2365 on: December 26, 2015, 08:38:24 am »
Pat, that stave did have some issues besides the 44 mag. borer holes

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2366 on: January 03, 2016, 08:50:15 am »
Finally got myself another BL log to split up today.An 8" er.So cold I quess I'll have to bring the staves in to shellac them.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2367 on: January 03, 2016, 09:12:59 am »
I have been deer hunting every evening in Tenn. Today is the last day of either sex, 5 more days of does only.

I am bumping deer going in every day but not seeing them on the stand.

There is a guy who shoots weekly in a nearby chert pit, the number of rounds and the different weapons he uses when he shoots is astonishing, 300 win mag down to 22s and everything in between. He shoots between 500 and a 1000 rounds during one of his sessions, often rapid fire. He is from a very rich farmer family and owns the chert pit so he has deep pockets.

So, I am about 1000 yards down range and to say it sounds like a war is an understatement. I hear deer get up from some tornado damage, cross the road to my side of the hill and feed up the hollow about 50 yards away but just out of my sight because of the crest of the hill, I am flintlock hunting.

All the gunfire doesn't faze them, I guess they are used to it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:56:51 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2368 on: January 03, 2016, 12:51:32 pm »
Yeah Eric - kind of like the deer in Yosemite are used to all the people walking around. One kid almost god hooked the other day.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2369 on: January 06, 2016, 02:41:51 pm »
Right now - I am watching it snow!