Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 846993 times)

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #2460 on: May 23, 2016, 08:20:17 am »
I would be up for that.
Down here in the South we call them a Flip.
Have carried one most on my life.
Still have a Maple stock that I made when I was about 12 years old.

Looking for something to use as Ammo.  What do you guys shoot in your flips????

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2461 on: May 24, 2016, 06:23:13 pm »
I spent the morning trying to cut a crotch wood flintlock stock blank out of a storm downed walnut down in the woods below my house.The tree fell on a very steep slope, no way to get a log out intact. The tree has been on the ground for 3 years, the wood was sound but light in color for walnut so the trunk may have degraded some.

Slab it with my chainsaw;

Check out the figure in the crotch;

Pattern layout;

Cut out;

Headed home;

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2462 on: May 25, 2016, 03:16:37 am »
Nice find Erik ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2463 on: May 31, 2016, 09:30:17 am »
I got a bit of a wake-up call today; for the past week every time I pulled the morning paper out of the tube beneath my mailbox it would be coated with spider
webs, lots of them making it hard to open and read. every morning I would reach up in the tube and pull the webs out, kinda dark in the morning and I couldn't see a spider. This morning I was running a little late and ran into the same mass of spider
webs, inserted my arm and pulled them out one more time. I could see up in the tube a bit and could see a spider silhouetted in the upper corner. I took a swat at it with the newspaper, it turned sideways and I saw what I had been dealing with, a rather large black widow. I had my hand in the middle of its web at least 5 times and it didn't sting me, just lucky I guess.

Offline DC

« Reply #2464 on: May 31, 2016, 08:30:24 pm »
I worked black locust for the first time today. BL is not a local tree but it has escaped cultivation on the south end of the island and on the mainland. Bow101 gave me a small sapling from down his way. When I split it it had a lot of small (1/16") worm holes and a big ugly scar on one limb. It was very wet and has been drying for a year or so. Anyway I chased a ring just because I wanted to try it. That went so so. I got it floor tillered and a bit on the long string today. It is very nice wood to work. I even got to use a spoke shave on it a bit. Very pretty wood. I don't have high hopes for this one. The scar, worm holes and my first ring chasing are fighting against me. I have a couple of billets left that look a lot nicer.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #2465 on: May 31, 2016, 09:28:26 pm »
I made a few bamboo mini bow tests to check out its properties and.. Looked for an endless time at my guava stave hoping it dries faster 😆
~Isaia

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2466 on: June 04, 2016, 06:34:25 pm »
On the way home from Marshall I noticed a double grill sitting at the end of a driveway a couple miles from my house.  I stopped and talked to the owners and they said It was free for the taking.  The gas side of the grill was all burnt out but the charcoal side was barely used.  I've been wanting to get a new smoker grill so I was glad to have it.  I wrestled it into the back of the truck by myself. 

I cleaned it up and took it off of the base.  I took the top of my old grill off and used some parts of a metal bed frame to adapt the base to fit the new one.  I painted the base with some high temperature paint while I was at it.  The handle is on the wrong side.  I'll probably move it over one day when I get tired of wheeling it around it by the angle iron on the other side.  I think it turned out OK for being parts of two junk grills and a bed frame.

For the last two years I've only used osage scraps to grill with.  I get a fire going and let it die down to a nice bed of coals.

I gave it a good test run.  I should have waited a little longer before putting the burgers on.  I got one of them a little done.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2467 on: June 04, 2016, 06:40:34 pm »
Amazing... what will you think of next................shooting a steel drum when a guy is at full draw????  :)
You are the repurposing King....good job Clint.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2468 on: June 05, 2016, 01:16:07 pm »
looks good O squared. I love my chargriller! added a smoker box to the right side of the wood grill....

Offline bubby

« Reply #2469 on: June 06, 2016, 08:30:38 am »
Good job scrounging Clint, now if you can just get bill to cook all of your meals you won't eat any burned burgers😈
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2470 on: June 17, 2016, 05:06:37 pm »
Today at work we checked out one of the old barns on the back side of the property.  We found some babies.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2471 on: June 19, 2016, 11:01:57 am »
Well yesterday the President was here! What a night mare! He is leaving today so maybe things will get back to some kind of normal. Only 2 members of the local tribe got invited to his speech. He did not visit the NDN museum, thank goodness!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2472 on: July 02, 2016, 05:43:14 pm »
Today my little girl ran her first 10K (6.2 miles) road race.  Out of 281 runners she was 28th overall and the  top female.   

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2473 on: July 02, 2016, 06:24:59 pm »
Congrat's ....!!!!!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #2474 on: July 02, 2016, 08:26:52 pm »
She did great Clint
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹