Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 843630 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #780 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18:54 pm »
What fer?  Don't you have enough stashed away  ;D  Somebody already called dibs on the biggest one....Me  >:D     That thing was like trying to cut through a steel pipe.  My Dad was standing 20 feet away and when I stopped sawing he said, "that sounded different".  I threw him the wedge and told him to check out the color. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #781 on: March 30, 2013, 12:44:17 am »
Roughed out another red oak blank for a really light horsebow as a movie prop.  Got a call from a game warden that had a report of a bald eagle down in a pasture.  Went out and collected a large female(?) baldie without any apparent injuries.  Got her some subcutaneous fluids and arranged for her to get a ride to the state capital where a federally licensed rehabber will take care of fixing her up.

Then this evening at work I get a call from a guy that says he found an eagle with a broken wing about two miles up a hiking trail high in the Black Hills.  Seeing how I gotta be at work in the morning, I am prolly going out tonite in the dark to find her and pack her out.  What with the near full moon and the mountain lions, I may just pack my .45 as a security blankie.  With my crap-toast shooting skills I am more in danger than the kitty, but oh well.

When it rains it pours.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #782 on: March 30, 2013, 09:08:41 am »
Nice sheds Clint! My buddy next door to you finds them dang things like that all the time. Indiana is a hidden gem, just not as sexy as Illinois or Kansas I guess.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #783 on: March 30, 2013, 09:09:24 am »
What fer?  Don't you have enough stashed away  ;D  Somebody already called dibs on the biggest one....Me  >:D     That thing was like trying to cut through a steel pipe.  My Dad was standing 20 feet away and when I stopped sawing he said, "that sounded different".  I threw him the wedge and told him to check out the color.

Yeah I got plenty of yellow wood,but not the red kind ;)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #784 on: March 30, 2013, 01:34:54 pm »
Hey, I have stove that readily accepts firewood of that length >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #785 on: March 30, 2013, 01:44:06 pm »

Yeah I got plenty of yellow wood,but not the red kind ;)

Well why didn't you tell me you were looking for red bow wood.  I'll stop at Lowes on the way to the Classic and get you an armful of red oak.  You need anything else buddy? 

Offline Roy

« Reply #786 on: March 30, 2013, 01:50:58 pm »
LMAO on red oak:)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #787 on: March 30, 2013, 02:13:57 pm »
Try a red oak-backed osage laminate.  You'd be the first.  Think of the glory! :P

Offline chamookman

« Reply #788 on: March 30, 2013, 02:41:48 pm »
Yesterday, glued up the tip overlays for My Yew project. Today glued the overlays on the bow - next week-end will be time to make it, or (GULP) break-it

;). Then Matt and I slipped out His shop and did some stump shooting - enjoying this first really nice day We've had in a while ! Happy Easter all - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

blackhawk

« Reply #789 on: March 30, 2013, 04:17:31 pm »
sure clint....if you wanna buy a bunch of wood and give it to me I wont turn it down...lol  ;D

cut some whitewood this afternoon behind the house..ill get 8 really nice telephone pole straight clean staves from it....it was destined to be dead in a year or so anyways,and not because of me  ;) does anyone know what it is?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #790 on: March 30, 2013, 04:32:01 pm »
Kinda sorta looks like ash.  Splits mighty pretty, too!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Roy

« Reply #791 on: March 30, 2013, 05:20:36 pm »
Looks like Mongolian Tulip to me... ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #792 on: March 30, 2013, 05:52:30 pm »
That's what I was thinking Roy.   ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #793 on: March 30, 2013, 09:02:20 pm »
I got the last log split in half and got all of it out of the valley today.  Turned out to be a nice haul of character wood.

This is about the typical grain pattern in all of it.  It should make some cool bows but man is it a pain to split  :P

blackhawk

« Reply #794 on: March 30, 2013, 09:03:55 pm »
Haha....my names not pearl drums....I ain't that gullible ;)  :laugh:

Jdubs right...its a fine piece of asssssh ;)

Howd the late night bird saving go jdub?