Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 845234 times)

Offline Roy

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #825 on: April 04, 2013, 07:38:46 pm »
Good for him. Personally I think Osage is very over rated. I quit using it 4 years ago.:)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #826 on: April 04, 2013, 07:44:36 pm »
Good for him. Personally I think Osage is very over rated. I quit using it 4 years ago.:)

The only reason you quit using it Roy is because your old geezer muscles couldn't work it any more  ;D 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Roy

« Reply #827 on: April 04, 2013, 07:57:51 pm »
Clintster, don't make me come out there son:)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #828 on: April 04, 2013, 08:05:32 pm »
Roy left all his muscles at Wood Stock.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #829 on: April 05, 2013, 08:05:24 am »
All two of them Chuck............hahahahahhahahahahaha!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #830 on: April 05, 2013, 08:52:10 am »
Yunzs boys hain't funny.. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #831 on: April 05, 2013, 11:54:53 pm »
Red letter day for this feller.  Had a lunch date with a lady.  And it was for personal reasons!

I was real smart.  I didn't start talking about bows and scare her off!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #832 on: April 06, 2013, 08:25:29 am »
Red letter day for this feller.  Had a lunch date with a lady.  And it was for personal reasons!

I was real smart.  I didn't start talking about bows and scare her off!

Sounds like you were being deceptive to me  :laugh:

Stringman

« Reply #833 on: April 06, 2013, 10:47:48 am »
Yep, I agree. You wouldn't want her to get the wrong idea...better bring her to the classic!!  :laugh: ;D

Scott

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #834 on: April 06, 2013, 11:14:52 am »
Well, the fowler saga continues;

When I drilled the holes for my trigger guard underlugs I broke off two drill bits in one lug rendering my trigger guard  permanently in place. A traditional trigger guard it is held in place by a small pin that goes through the stock, through the lug and out the other side of the stock. My trigger guard has three lugs and needs three pins to hold it in place. I was able to drill for the other two pins without any problems.

I spent an extra month or so shaping the wood for the wrist and below the lock panels with a small chisel and sandpaper because I couldn't remove the trigger guard because of the drill bits broken off in lug and extending into the stock.

I asked on the M/L forums "what can I do". I go a bunch of responses, most of which would have left gaping holes in my stock just to remove a couple of 5/64" drill bits. One guy said to buy a solid carbide bit and carefully drill the broken bits out using the holes through the stock as guides.

I hesitated because the 5/64" bit cost $12 on line and probably about the same to ship. On a whim I called the local machinist supply house to see if they had one and dang, they did, for only $6.

Yesterday was the day, I chucked up this solid carbide bit, eased it into the hole in the stock and started drilling. I didn't expect any results, didn't feel like I was getting anywhere after about 5 minutes so I pulled the drill out and tapped out the dust, METAL SHAVING DUST! Eureka, this is working.

After about 10 minutes of drilling on each side, my bit broke. I gently pulled on the trigger guard, it started to come out, a little more and it popped out of the stock, what a relief.

I had ruined the lug with broken bits and the process of drilling them out so I cut the old lug off, soldered a new lug in it's place and re drilled a new hole through the lug for the pin.

I am filling the old holes through the stock as they got slightly enlarged during the bit removal process, re drilling the holes through the stock this morning and will be wrapping up this complicated fix.

Here is the new lug to give you an idea of what I was working on. Sorry for the long, boring story, very exciting for me as I was able to correct a major goof-up that I thought was a lost cause.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #835 on: April 06, 2013, 11:57:51 am »
You had me white knuckled thru the whole description, Eric.  I didn't foresee a happy ending to the story.  But to my amazement you pulled victory from the jaws of defeat and saved the day! 

But the whole ordeal gets me wondering, how did they fix this problem "back in the day"?  Or maybe the question is, did this not happen "back in the day" because they used a brace and bit instead of a power tool?  They certainly didn't have unbreakable drill bits, even with our modern metalurgy we sure don't!

Anyway, good work, Eric.  Looking forward to seeing this gun fully "tillered".
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Roy

« Reply #836 on: April 06, 2013, 01:18:57 pm »
Good fix, Eric

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #837 on: April 06, 2013, 05:04:23 pm »
They used wrought iron, pretty soft stuff unless they hardened it. I was using a cast steel trigger guard made up, from what I understand, anything they threw in the pot. I suspect some ball bearing type steel migrated to the area of my middle lug. I couldn't drill through it after I took the trigger guard off the gun. I am sure power tools come into play as well, hand drills don't get you in trouble near as fast. I redrilled with my old egg beater drill.

blackhawk

« Reply #838 on: April 06, 2013, 10:41:16 pm »
Busy busy busy fun filled day today.....went to our local maple syrup fest....fresh milled n grilled flour n buckwheat cakes with fresh syrup just made from the parks trees n sausage...yum yum yum.....reenactors galore of every kind,forgers,woodcarvers,crafters,etc....etc....good time with the family.... came home and halved 6 juniperus virginiana logs...ate lunch...grabbed my four year old son and took him outback and we cut a 4" ash sapling together,we then split it in half,then we drawknived the bark off,and sealed em up...he wants his own bow so hes gonna have to make one ;)...then did a lil shooting...then had some folks over for a bonfire(huuuuge fire) and now I'm literally just hanging out "around the campfire" ;) perfect ending to a perfect day :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #839 on: April 06, 2013, 11:07:19 pm »
Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a Saturday.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left