Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 837975 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1245 on: July 07, 2013, 08:52:00 pm »
Good story JW. I have two hives, one strong and one OK. Strong hive may have honey in it now.  Are your honey supers drwn comb?  If not, I may get them on a little early.  You don't want them to chimmney though. Bzz Bzz, have fun! dp

Helped set up and take down my Granny Cook's 90th Birthday party, most fun I've had sober for a long time.  Well appreciated beer when I returned home.  ;)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1246 on: July 07, 2013, 10:34:49 pm »
Went to the river to cut some osage that had been dozed down and do a little bowfishing , forgot my chainsaw gas so I didn't cut as much as I had planed , might have been a good thing cuz I was getting hot and may have overdone it if I hadn't ran out of fuel . Bowfishing didn't go to well , got one black buffalo and had others but they kept terring loose , on my way back to the pickup I heard some splashing in the creek , I knew what it was because I had seen their signs earlier , at least six or more hogs in the creek so I put a stalk on them , I got within fifteen yards when another bunch of hogs came in from behind me. The second bunch seen me and trotted off , the ones in the creek heard them and got nervous and began leaving also , need to carry some brodheads with me from now on.
There was at least a dozen more all together and they ranged from about seventy pounds to one hundred fifty pounds . I also cut a coffee tree and got four staves from it.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #1247 on: July 08, 2013, 01:43:47 am »
Spent the day sealing yew.  Here is a couple of nice billets.  Decided to skin them and shellac them up.  These were cut with steelslinger yesterday at about 4000' They were growing out of a rock and had obviously spent some time with snow on their backs (compression fractions).  I am thinking of splicing them into a R/D. 

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1248 on: July 08, 2013, 09:45:53 pm »
As I understand it the reaction from next sting could kill you before you can do anything about it.  Allergic reactions to stings tend to get much worse each time they occur, happened to a guy I worked with. He either died or almost died in the ER but they were able to bring him back.

That's with ALLERGIES to stings.  I am not allergic, instead I just had a more simple histamine reaction.  With people that are not allergic, each sting builds immunity to the histamine reaction.  This is my first sting in a very long time and my resistance was at a very low level. 

Are your honey supers drwn comb?  If not, I may get them on a little early. 

The best two hives are about 20% through the second hive bodies.  I have drawn comb enough for two honey supers, so I will probably give each hive 5 drawn comb in their first supers when they reach that 70% mark on the second hive body. 

Last year was so incredibly dry that most of the clover and alfalfa is really spotty this year, so there isn't much of a honey flow.  Hoping to see some of the later bloom come in stronger.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1249 on: July 08, 2013, 10:35:56 pm »
Nice haul Carson and Poggins.  Looks like some good osage and interesting yew.

Its been quite a busy day for me caring for the wife, kids, and all the animals.  I took a few minutes for myself and cut out a new osage bow.  I have special plans for this one.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1250 on: July 09, 2013, 05:43:56 pm »
Corn picking, blanching, vacuum sealing and freezing day. It will take me all day, I picked a lot of corn, much more than is in the picture.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #1251 on: July 10, 2013, 10:03:43 am »
Yum, Yum
Looks good Eric.
Is that Peaches and Cream sweet corn??

Been picking Blackberries myself.
12 gallons for the wife and 2 that were sold to the "City Folks"  that I work with.
Got four more gallons sold just got to pick-em.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1252 on: July 10, 2013, 05:44:36 pm »
Yep, peaches and cream. The coons got into my patch one night so I put up a low wire electric fence around my corn, no more coons.

While these ears were cooling I went out an picked blueberries. I pruned my bushes last year and the crop was way down, only picked 8 gts so far would normally have 40 at this time.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #1253 on: July 12, 2013, 09:49:23 am »
We plan on "pruning" our Blackberries here in another month or so.
Going to take the bushhog and cut the patch into 4' wide strips.
That way we want have to stomp and wade our way through head high bries to pick the berries.
That is the plan anyway.  We will see how well the Blackberries corroperate.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1254 on: July 12, 2013, 10:14:56 am »
Where I grew up in Norris Tn we had a hollow in the back part of the land that had been a rifle range, relatively flat and really grown up with blackberries. My dad had a Gravely walk behind yard tractor with a front mounted bushog on it. He would put the Gravely in low gear on one side of the patch, turn it loose, run around to the other side of the patch and catch it as it came out in the clear on the other side. A few passes like this and he had some berry picking lanes without getting eaten up by the briers while trying to cut the lanes.

Offline Marks

« Reply #1255 on: July 12, 2013, 12:31:32 pm »
Where I grew up in Norris Tn we had a hollow in the back part of the land that had been a rifle range, relatively flat and really grown up with blackberries. My dad had a Gravely walk behind yard tractor with a front mounted bushog on it. He would put the Gravely in low gear on one side of the patch, turn it loose, run around to the other side of the patch and catch it as it came out in the clear on the other side. A few passes like this and he had some berry picking lanes without getting eaten up by the briers while trying to cut the lanes.

I love hearing redneck ingenuity stories.

We just bought our house 2 years ago in September and I bought a tame blackberry vine from Lowes and it never came up. I was looking forward to having a few this year. I just don't find the numbers of wild ones like I used to.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1256 on: July 12, 2013, 05:08:24 pm »
Not too much redneck in my dad, he was a gorilla of a man.  Army pacific boxing champ in in the 30s, a navigator on a B18 bomber (yep, there is such a plane)  flying out of Hickem Field in Hawaii before the war, went to OCS and spent the war in military intelligence in the states. Did a bunch of covert stuff he won't talk about to this day and has battled PDST off and on over the years because of it.

After the war he worked his way through college to become an instrument engineer and worked on top secret projects for the Atomic Energy Commission in Oak Ridge Tn until he retired.

I once saw him carry most of a complete telephone pole out of the woods on his shoulder. He had found it up in the ridges and salvaged it for corner posts on his 7 acres. Like I said, he was a gorilla of a man.

He was a lousy dad, disliked kids and had 5 of them. I say was, later in life he saw the light, became an OK guy and made peace with all his youngsters, now grown men.

He is still sharp as a tack mentally at age 95 though a bit frail in the body.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:29:43 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1257 on: July 14, 2013, 01:51:29 pm »
Ace came over and shot the bow I made for him, looked pretty good so I started applying the finish. Lettered the bow this morning, got it right on my first try which is a rarity.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #1258 on: July 14, 2013, 04:16:27 pm »
First time in the shop since I sent my trade bow out. I changed the handle wrap on my bamboo backed osage bow. The one that was on it was pretty ugly. Then I took the hickory back off the first hbi I made last year that developed a splinter and glued on a new one over-night. I am about to re-tiller that bow. I'll glue up a hickory backed bulletwood tonight.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Roy

« Reply #1259 on: July 14, 2013, 06:55:28 pm »
Back from a weekend trad shoot at Kennerdell sportsman in central Pa.
BlackHawk with his yew bow.

Myself and my yew bow.