Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 845320 times)

Offline Roy

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1425 on: September 02, 2013, 08:39:25 am »
So sorry, Poggins. Prayers for the family.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #1426 on: September 02, 2013, 09:14:11 am »
Sorry for your loss, Poggins. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1427 on: September 02, 2013, 04:35:58 pm »
Sorry to hear that Poggins, condolences to your family.  Let me know if there is anything I can do for you, brother.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1428 on: September 02, 2013, 08:29:10 pm »
Thanks everyone , it has been hectic around here with all the planning and informing all the friends and family . I think I will escape to work for one day to get a break , there are some folks down that way that I haven't gotten a hold of yet anyway .

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1429 on: September 04, 2013, 02:20:17 pm »
Can't get away from work fast enough today.. Going to the mountains to  chase elk away.. 4 days of quiet and bbq
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #1430 on: September 06, 2013, 01:53:59 am »
Man, I haven't checked in on this thread for a long time, got some catching up to do!

I had a day off today so I was pretending to be a blacksmith.  This is the first forging project that I've attempted and is pretty crude.  Still a work in progress - I have to grind an edge on it and then somehow temper it (not sure how, I think I'll be in the doghouse for a while if I use the oven).  I was out at the old man's farm last weekend and meant to swipe an anvil from him, but forgot, so I had to resort to bashing the old file against a sledge hammer head.  Not the most ideal setup but it sort of worked.  I made a "One Brick Forge" out of a soft fire brick and it seemed to work decent, although I don't have anything to compare it to.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1431 on: September 06, 2013, 09:06:02 pm »
Nice knife Cam.  I like seeing old file knives.

I spent all day picking out stand sites and trimming trails with my Dad.  We are both wore out.  Our place is all hills.  We have trails cut for 6 ladder stands and 1 ground blind.  We found some huge white and red oak trees loaded with acorns.  We have a small pond deep in a wooded valley and I have a stand below the dam right next to a patch of white oaks and another stand up the hill on the main trail between the pond and the biggest red oak on our property.  I set up all the stand sites for shots under 15 yards and facing into the normal wind pattern.  We are hoping to put the stands out next week. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1432 on: September 07, 2013, 10:21:00 am »
Dove season opens today, have a couple of marginal fields on public land spotted, may get to burn a little powder, I sure like eating them.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1433 on: September 07, 2013, 04:59:30 pm »
We had my mother's service today , had two fellow members of our selfbow club show up ( that's what is nice about fellow bow builders we're all friends and are there for each other) but with all the friends and family that showed up I didn't get a lot of time to visit ( its been almost impossible to hold myself together this last week )

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1434 on: September 07, 2013, 05:10:26 pm »
Hey Pog! Praying for you and yours in your time of loss. My mom has been gone for 15 years and I still miss her.  When you get things taken care of come on out for a visit and get away from things for a bit. Ben

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1435 on: September 07, 2013, 07:16:44 pm »
I would love to but I burnt up a lot of leave the last two months and need to build it back up , planning on a bear trip with a self bow either next year or the year after to Canada , some of the guys on our self bow club did good this year and our club president took one with a stone point ( they've opened some eyes up there ).
I do need to travel around some more , almost 43 and haven't ventured out of the state very much.
Thanks for the invite , I get my place paid off and I may take you up on it ( about three years or so left then my pocket money will triple ) .

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1436 on: September 08, 2013, 08:05:46 pm »
I decided not to do any serious work today so I played in my shop. I sealed and crested 4 poplar arrow shafts, still sealing, I only use wiped on tru-oil now, lots of coats.

The cornerstone of my bow building tools has been a Nicholson half round course wood file, the perfect file to follow a Nicholson #49 with. I bought it locally, worked on about 200 bows with it, thought it was getting a little dull and decided to buy a new one a few years ago, no luck in finding one, anywhere.

I goggled Nicholson half round course file and came up with nothing for years, none were available locally either, no one had even heard of one.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I checked again for a Nicholson half round course "wood" file. They were everywhere, I even found one at about half price with free shipping. Don't know why I didn't think to add "wood" to my previous searches.

Anyway, I got a new file, all new files need a new handle which was the other thing I made while playing in the shop. Scrap osage and half of a 35 cents copper pipe coupler, came out real nice.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:37:09 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1437 on: September 08, 2013, 10:08:58 pm »
Today I ate the last of my deer meat from last season  :'(   The marinated steaks sure did taste good though.  Hopefully I can put a cane arrow through a doe in a few weeks.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

« Reply #1438 on: September 08, 2013, 10:12:04 pm »
Dove season opens today, have a couple of marginal fields on public land spotted, may get to burn a little powder, I sure like eating them.

I took my 12 year old son for the first time last Sunday and we had a blast! He managed to shoot two with one shot. We grilled 24 Friday night and they are hard to beat. Hope you get some shooting!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Marks

« Reply #1439 on: September 09, 2013, 10:57:53 am »

Public Land huh? You didn't happen to hunt down on 7 mile behind the treatment plant did you? We started out at Key Cave Wildlife Refuge and couldn't find enough shade for this fat boy so we moved down to 7mile. Killed a few but we weren't in near the best areas.