Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 838460 times)

Offline _Jon_

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1605 on: December 31, 2013, 09:38:21 pm »
Spent the afternoon and evening with the kids around a camp fire singing and enjoying the kids keeping the fire going.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #1606 on: January 01, 2014, 12:00:40 am »
Happy New Year, Jon...and all the Twin Oaks gang.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #1607 on: January 01, 2014, 12:34:55 am »
Went hunting, saw one doe at a distance. On my way home after dark I caught a flash of deer getting hit by the car in the opposite lane. The car knocked the deer into my lane and it went under my truck, being an F250 and high up, the deer only bumped a little passing under my truck.

I could see the deer on the ground looking around in my rear view mirror so I pulled off the road and backed up to the deer. It couldn't get up so I decided to take it home with me. No rules about not picking up road kill where I live. I gave the deer a couple of pokes in the lungs with my knife, it expired quickly.

I loaded it up and took it home. My little deer hoist is some of the best money I ever spent.

I gutted the deer at home and found the guts were intact, no body cavity damage at all which is a good sign.

I will skin the deer tomorrow and check for more damage. It appears the deer had a shattered front leg and a displaced vertebra in its neck, skinning will reveal any more meat damage.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1608 on: January 01, 2014, 10:05:36 pm »
Lucky you! we can not pick up anything in CAlI! What a waste....

Offline BryanR

« Reply #1609 on: January 02, 2014, 07:39:12 pm »
My first grand daughter is about 6 hours old.  Been looking at photos all afternoon.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1610 on: January 02, 2014, 07:44:47 pm »
congrats bryan, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1611 on: January 03, 2014, 10:47:29 pm »
I made a lasagna today.  I am fond of "one pot" recipes to make clean-up in the kitchen easier. 

1 large cast iron skillet to brown the ground venison
1 medium cast iron skillet to carmelize the onions, then sautee the portabella mushrooms
1 large mixing bowl to make pasta dough with eggs and flour
1 KitchenAide Mixer with the Pasta Roller attached to the power take-off
1 One large kettle to get water boiling
1 Medium kettle with 2 quarts of home made tomato sauce simmering along with herbs and spices
1 small mixing bowl to stir egg into the ricotta cheese
4-5 spatulas, spoons, etc
1 wire whisk to beat the egg
1 large cutting board for chopping veggies
1 chef's knife
1 large wine glass because I only used half a bottle deglazing the 2 skillets and in the sauce (cook gotta get a little love, too!)
1 cheese grater for the 2 lbs of mozzerella I gotta shred
1 large bowl to hold the shredded mozzerella

More time spent cleaning up and doing dishes than I spent baking and eating the lasagna.  But it was worth it.  I love my from scratch home made lasagna!  If anyone is in the area, I got plenty of leftovers. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1612 on: January 06, 2014, 05:35:18 pm »
Mmmm sounds wonderful JW.... I made speghetti and meat sauce Saturday night...
The holiday's are officially over .... Getting calls at the shop... HOW MUCH TO FIX A FIST HOLE IN MY WALL!!!!!............. Happens every year......
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #1613 on: January 07, 2014, 11:14:57 am »
Finished up deer season in Tennessee, could have killed a doe with my flinter but let her walk.
I found a nice rack on the way in, been there a long time. 3 years ago I ran into a guy who said he shot a big deer in the bean field across the road that ran onto our property. I looked at the time but never found it, the time line would be about right for the skull I found.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1614 on: January 10, 2014, 11:10:01 am »
Went to see the woman's olympic hockey team... They were playing our AAA team last night for practice.. The grand daugther who just started playing this year.. Got to play a scrimage with the other girls in her league at intermission
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline seabass

« Reply #1615 on: January 10, 2014, 08:45:18 pm »
that is awesome Leroy.i love me some hockey.i should live up north like you.maybe I could come live up there and help you do all that drywall.we could do some fishing in the down time.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline campx

« Reply #1616 on: January 10, 2014, 10:15:22 pm »
Went for a walk in the snow, with my 7mm and a coyote call.  No luck.  Would love to hammer a wolfor some coyotes, soon.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1617 on: January 10, 2014, 10:18:34 pm »
Today I started on a new bow.  I haven't worked on one since last summer.  I've been busy finishing up some other stuff.  I got everything done and now its time to make some bows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1618 on: January 10, 2014, 11:01:48 pm »
Today I started on a new bow.  I haven't worked on one since last summer.  I've been busy finishing up some other stuff.  I got everything done and now its time to make some bows.

Withdrawal for that long must have left you with some bad shakes!  Poor fellow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sonny

« Reply #1619 on: January 11, 2014, 12:53:55 pm »
Replaced my Mom's (shallow) well pump this morning. We had a couple of 10 degree nights earlier in the
week and the pump froze, cracked the casing. I removed the old pump when I discovered it so I'd be that
much farther ahead when time came to replace it. Fortunately I was able to get it done before the rain set in
today.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.