Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 838456 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1620 on: January 12, 2014, 08:32:07 pm »
I spent the day getting a new addition to our small herd.  My wife has wanted a miniature donkey for a long time.  Yesterday I found somebody that was trying to downsize their herd because of food costs.  They said they had a mini donkey that we could have for free if we gave it a good home.  Sounded like a deal to me.  We don't have a trailer, all we have is a large cage that we put in the bed of the truck to haul goats to the fair.  He is a fat little thing and it took 4 guys to lift it and get it in the truck.  The old guy was nearly in tears when we left.  It was his little buddy.  He hugged it 4 or 5 times before we got it in the truck.  Unloading it was easy because we were able to back into a hillside and let it walk right out.  He is very friendly and looks healthy.  It didn't waste any time showing the pony who was the new boss of the pasture.  I think we will have to get it fixed soon.  It has already violated the male pony  :o 

The wife is so excited to have this little thing.  I'm sure she will baby it.  His name is Donkey.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1621 on: January 13, 2014, 10:29:13 am »
Did a lot of flintlock shooting yesterday, drilling with my 54 but couldn't hit squat with my 12 ga fowler.

While cleaning my fowler I noticed the lock would barely go into the lock mortise. I then noticed the metal on my carefully inletting was sitting proud of the wood, the butt plate was the worst. I had it looking like it grew into the wood when I finished the gun, perfectly mating of the wood and metal.

To my dismay I realized my very expensive stock blank was not properly seasoned and was drying out and shrinking before my eyes.

Just a little venting, $900 in parts, carefully put together and now looks like a really amateurish build.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1622 on: January 13, 2014, 10:10:47 pm »
I can just hear Clint hollering "DONKEY!" in his best Shrek imitation!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #1623 on: January 13, 2014, 10:33:08 pm »
I can just hear Clint hollering "DONKEY!" in his best Shrek imitation!

Haha I can see the resemblance. >:D

Jon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1624 on: January 13, 2014, 10:34:16 pm »
Visually it's the ears....and the bubbles in the mudbath.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1625 on: January 13, 2014, 11:44:29 pm »
My son has already suggested I dress up like Shrek and lead donkey around next Halloween.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1626 on: January 13, 2014, 11:49:27 pm »
My son has already suggested I dress up like Shrek and lead donkey around next Halloween.

Your son is wise beyond his years.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1627 on: January 14, 2014, 11:15:22 am »
I am putting up tree stands today. Two weeks left in the season but I am done bow hunting so my API is going back in the attic of my shop along with my Buckshot Big shot, will keep my Summit Viper out just in case.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #1628 on: January 15, 2014, 03:36:44 pm »
That's exactly what my wife wants some day Clint, a couple of milk goats and a small burrow.

Today I turned a proposal into my principal for a group I'm wanting to start at the inner-city school I teach at, Manual High.  If okayed we will be called "The Manual Primitives".  Our motto will be, "LET LOOSE!"

Hope it works out, might make my job something to look forward to.

Have a gooder, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #1629 on: January 15, 2014, 06:26:57 pm »
Thats just ridonkulus! >:D Those burrows run wild all over the desert out in Nevada. They have signs like our deer crossing signs on the roads. Are you going to train it so you ride and shoot targets?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1630 on: January 15, 2014, 08:24:21 pm »
Tracy,  If anything I'll train it to pull osage logs  ;D   

Today I got a little more familiar with my new farriers rasp since I broke my band saw yesterday.  I'm working on a S shaped bendy handle bow.  I got it shaped, smoothed out, and starting to bend. 

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1631 on: January 15, 2014, 08:37:48 pm »
Sounds interesting OO ...can't wait to see some pic's .
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1632 on: January 16, 2014, 11:03:33 am »
I haven't done any bow work in a month or so, today is the day, back to the shop to work on a BBO I am making for a friend in Florida.

Offline JEB

« Reply #1633 on: January 16, 2014, 12:13:35 pm »
Our priest at church burns wood so last year I decided to provide kindling for him.  I started doing it again this year and it wasn't until the other day that he found out it was me leaving the wood at his door.  He saw me and came running out to thank me.  Back up to 3 days ago. I went to the saw mill to pick up scraps for kindling.  Got home and fired up the table saw to do some cutting and promptly took most of the pad/meat off my left thumb from the nail down to the first joint.  Wife pulled into the driveway and I looked up and it happened. What a dumb ass I am.  I was fortunate that the bone was not touched, missed it by 1/16th of an inch.  Went to the ER and was told that there were 11 people in front of me.  I told the gal I was missing half my thumb and I was bleeding pretty bad and she said, again, there are 11 people in front of you.

Wife is a nurse and had some pull at a very modern med center so off we went. I will have a big divet on my thumb as there was nothing to sow back on . Glad I left as the ER room looked like a petri dish  for disease.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1634 on: January 16, 2014, 02:07:03 pm »
Jon!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.