Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 838434 times)

Stringman

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1785 on: March 09, 2014, 11:49:29 pm »
My cousin just bought his first airplane and stopped through on his way from Cali to NC. I asked him if he'd give us a ride before he took off for home.

My daughter's first plane ride.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1786 on: March 10, 2014, 01:29:14 am »
got 4 bows finished up 2 I started this week, feels good to finish up some stuff, now got to start my trade bow, and a new bow for my wife
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #1787 on: March 10, 2014, 12:33:25 pm »
I will probably do a separate post for this, but yesterday...

In the morning I made my first batch of Indian fry bread. In the morning I made it similar to an elephant ear w/ powdered sugar and cinnamon, but while making that up I had another idea.

In the evening, I made up some venison burger w/ left over rice and swiss chard. Made my dough, rolled out my fry bread and added the meat mix and folded over the dough and crimped like a pie w/ a fork. My boys didn't like the mix, so I made them both a long burger and did the same for them, added cheese and ketchup and mustard then put it in the hot oil.

I'm tellin you what, I gotta get off this computer for fear of getting saliva all over the key board. No kiddin.

I kept one back for lunch today to see how they pack and eat the next day. These babies have no limit and if they pack good would make great hunting food or packing grub.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #1788 on: March 10, 2014, 03:30:05 pm »
just the smell of fry bread cooking makes my mouth water, thank's a lot derik :laugh:

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1789 on: March 10, 2014, 10:43:14 pm »
Fry bread!  I can hear my artieries clogging already!

There was a vendor at a Pow Wow in North Dakota that was selling what they called a "Half Breed" long time back.  It was fry bread taco, folded around diced ham and cheese!  Greasy goodness!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #1790 on: March 11, 2014, 12:08:42 am »
Been busy...cooked down the rest of last weekends sap tonight. getting nearly 8 gallons a day outta four trees this weekend. I'm gonna try the 5 gal bucket deal next year, everytime I go to check them they are leaking over the top. Anyway, cooked down 1 1/2 quarts of syrup tonight. dp

Offline Stoker

« Reply #1791 on: March 11, 2014, 06:05:48 pm »
Got a call from my daughter... She's coming to back town Saturday wedding dress shopping... It's been 8 months that this started... Still trying to get used to the idea.... Her accessorie color is purple... I don't know... This is the only thing that comes to mind if I wear purple anything
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1792 on: March 11, 2014, 06:20:42 pm »
Derik,
Where do you cook down the sap?? That's a lot of moisture to put into the house.................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1793 on: March 12, 2014, 01:47:10 am »
That's pretty cool Scott.  My first plane ride was in a small one like that when I was around 14 or 15.  I don't remember much about the ride.  I had my girlfriend in the back seat with me and I was distracted  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1794 on: March 12, 2014, 10:05:29 am »
Had a good goof off day; Went to the local flea market looking for an anvil and draw knives, found none but did run into a bunch of the old guys I worked with before I retired, spent a lot of time talking.

Later I changed out the factory sights on my new Ruger Single Six to High Viz sights, what a difference! I plan to use the pistol in 22 mag for my future armadillo hunts. At 30 yards resting against a tree, if I did my part, I could shoot a 1" group with the gun. If I got a little sloppy on my trigger pull my group would expand to almost a foot.

Later I decided to unload my flintlock which has been loaded since about November of last year. I took an off hand shot at 30 yards(I shoot lousy off hand). I flinched, snatched the trigger, had a bit of a hang fire and missed the target by almost 2 feet, pitiful. This poor performance got me fired up so I reloaded Mr Beck and tried again, only missed the bull by 3" this time, still not good enough.  On my last try I was about 1" off, good enough so I cleaned my flinter and put it up.

I cut up a bunch of cleaning patches with my roller fabric cutter and called it a day.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #1795 on: March 12, 2014, 03:15:23 pm »
Derik,
Where do you cook down the sap?? That's a lot of moisture to put into the house.................
DBar

Running the wood stove, our house is dry. I cook it off on the wood stove. W/ the warmer, nonfreezing weather, it gets a bit hot in there though. Had to have some windows open Sunday and Monday while it cooked.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #1796 on: March 12, 2014, 09:16:56 pm »
I picked some oranges and squeezed out 8 quarts of fresh juice and got an osage shooting. Now I just have to pretty it up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1797 on: March 12, 2014, 09:45:55 pm »
Today I finished a coyote skull for a friend of a friend and worked on some arrows for my daughter

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:02:08 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #1798 on: March 13, 2014, 05:44:47 am »
Cussed the Snow Gods again - got about 8" of the new stuff yesterday  :'(. Have a drift about 4' deep and 50' long at the end of the driveway !
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1799 on: March 14, 2014, 07:23:01 pm »
took some twist out and did some alighnment on an osage stave today, got a gift almost ready to go north of the border, rawhide backed a buckthorn bow i'm trying to get finished and all the while slow cooking some boneless country ribs, i'm ready to eat, bub
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:42:53 pm by bubby »