Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 842665 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1830 on: March 26, 2014, 10:33:03 am »
Nice finds zuma!

Like them blue feathers Clint!

I been building a chicken pen around my coop to keep MY dog off the birds.  :( dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1831 on: March 26, 2014, 10:42:02 am »
Yesterday I bush hogged and bush hogged and bush hogged. The 350 acres I hunt in Tn is owned by a friend who is a brilliant businessman but not too keen on keeping his place up. It is a mixture of big woods and large open fields. In the past he had a huge tractor with an 18' bat-wing bushog he let us use to keep the place in shape. The tractor broke down, he became involved with business ventures and the land was left untended. Five years later the fields are choked with sweet gum trees, briers and are close to being unreclaimbable.

I tacked an 8 acre field a few days ago with my compact tractor and a 4' bush hog. There were thousands of sweet gum sapling clumps growing out of the roots in the field. To cut one of these clumps I would push it over with my bucket and easy over it with my bush hog very slowly, often taking minutes to grind each clump to the ground.

It took me 9 hours to clear the field.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #1832 on: March 27, 2014, 09:24:06 am »
Eric:
You will ware your little tractor out doing that.

Does that field have any of those blasted Wild Bradford Pears in it???
Those things have 3" to 4" thorns on them that will stick right through a tractor tire.
They are taking over just north of Moulton.

You will have to spray the Sweetgum, and Bradford Pears stumps to kill them.
Well you could bulldoze them all up.....

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1833 on: March 27, 2014, 12:04:03 pm »
I have some stuff called stump killer(arsenal) that I spray on stumps when I can, they are toast after being sprayed. In this case there were too many to stop and spray each one, perhaps a thousand. I have found if you cut the sapling sprouts several years in a row the root will eventually die, hope the same will work on this field.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1834 on: March 30, 2014, 08:15:27 pm »
I have a new bow student, Donnie is one more worker, we went from bow blank to an almost ready to shoot bow in two days.
to

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1835 on: April 02, 2014, 03:38:11 pm »
This morning at work I got a call from our credit union.  They told me that they had a promotion give a way for anyone who had opened a loan in the last month.  Then they told me they had drew my name and I won a 50" LED TV, Blue Ray player, and 3 movies.  I didn't believe her at first.  She assured me it wasn't a joke.  I went there on lunch and picked all of it up.  What a surprise!  It is way bigger than any TV we own.  I can't wait to watch some football on it this fall.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #1836 on: April 02, 2014, 04:08:11 pm »
Good deal Clint! Can't beat that. dp

Offline bubby

« Reply #1837 on: April 02, 2014, 05:37:22 pm »
you dog, you will love watching the games on that I have one the same size, it's great for watching the kids sports on too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Wolfgang

« Reply #1838 on: April 02, 2014, 06:30:08 pm »
I did my regular work all day. And thereafter, when all the family had went to bed, I worked on the deer sinew backing of a reflex-recurve short bow. The magins of the backing had detached at the 45° degrees angle at 2 locations. I had to fix that before tillering the bow. Perfection is the aim, but even near-perfection takes time... ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1839 on: April 02, 2014, 09:06:20 pm »
Woke to another 6 inches of snow.  My neighbor called this morning.  She's had a rough year, four surgeries and more to come.  She told me that she knew she could not talk me out of shoveling her walk but wanted to know if I would rather use her snowblower to do the job.  I jumped on that like a junebug on a duck.  I did her walk and driveway, then did all the sidewalks up and down the block.  Then I turned to do my driveway, but by then it had warmed up and the snow had "slumped" and her little snowblower just choked on it.  So I cleaned it up, topped up the gas, put it away.....and spent an hour shoveling my own driveway! 

No good deed goes unpunished. LOL!  :-[

I am starting to think I live in a showglobe and some jackwagon keeps walking over and shaking it up!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marks

« Reply #1840 on: April 03, 2014, 10:30:54 am »

I am starting to think I live in a showglobe and some jackwagon keeps walking over and shaking it up!

>:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #1841 on: April 03, 2014, 11:36:26 am »
JW, You're in a "showglobe" alright.  ;D dp

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1842 on: April 04, 2014, 12:57:22 am »
JW , it would be nice if you could send some if that snow down to central Oklahoma , when I see a cloud I start looking for the sorce of the fire , every little shower we get is followed by wind and then a fire .
The morel mushrooms are a week late around here because its so dry and the wind is blowing something in that's mess'n with my alergies and I've missed two days work this week .

The only good thing about all this dry air is the wood I cut back in Feb should be drying good .

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1843 on: April 08, 2014, 04:45:19 pm »
Rigged me up a wing processing station today.

Wings, borax, box cutter and cutting block all at the perfect working height. I have collected 25 wings and 10 fans so far and the season has only been open a week, going to be a good year for trading feathers for stuff.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #1844 on: April 10, 2014, 12:57:36 am »
A little evening walk in the woods .