Author Topic: mulbery stave pics  (Read 3763 times)

Offline david w.

mulbery stave pics
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:16:16 pm »
here are pics of the awesome stave Mullet sent me.  it is a pis of the stave and the ring i am planning to chase

[attachment deleted by admin]
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: mulbery stave pics
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 05:57:33 am »
Looks like a good choice.Nice stave.
   PAPPY
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 11:27:00 am »
Looks good, Ill keep an eye on this one, been wanting to try mullbery got several around. I wonder if it is dense-hard as osage? Good luck and keep us posted!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:50:16 am »
Hmm, that's a nice looking stave David - I can't tell it from osage. I've read here that it's not quite as strong as sage so you want to make it a little wider at fades (maybe 1 1/2" or more?) somebody'll come on and give ya some good dimension's. If you don't have any experience chasing a ring on the back - try chasing the one above the one you've chosen for practice, it looks like a good one too.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 02:58:25 pm »
 i have lots of questions ;D

how do i follow the bump?

it seems to me that when you make a bow froma stave the growth rings are going the wronng way. i thought it had to be vertical?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 03:45:39 pm »
David, You just peel the growth rings away like you would an onion. Each ring goes around the tree and down it's length. The only living part of the tree trunk is the cambium layer, the thin layer just under the bark. Everything under that is dead wood as is the bark. So, you remove the bark, then the cambium, the sapwood(lighter color) and down to a darker colored ring. On the stave, that runs down the length and will be the back of your bow. On the belly side, from the handle area out, the rings will feather or step down from one ring to another to the tips. If this was reversed and the feathering was on the back the rings would separate and the bow would break :o. The continuous ring on the back holds it all together. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC