Author Topic: this is weird  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Newindian

this is weird
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:25:14 pm »
I'm working on a bow right now where the last 10" of the limb leans to one side dosn't twist or any thing just goes off to the side about an inch it's making the string lie completely off the side of the bow and pop off, not to mention that the string only just barely bisects the handle. what the heck sould I do?
I like free stuff.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: this is weird
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:27:43 pm »
Is one side of the limb thicker than the other?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:04:22 am »
Pics would really help us diagnose the problem better.  Is the limb bent sideways only when braced or is it like that unbraced also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newindian

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 12:08:31 am »
Is one side of the limb thicker than the other?
barely I'll even it out and see what happens
Pics would really help us diagnose the problem better.  Is the limb bent sideways only when braced or is it like that unbraced also.
I'll try getting pictures probably tomorrow, and the limb is strait when unbraced
I like free stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:11:18 am »
Without seeing pics I'd say the limb is probably too narrow where it bends and maybe uneven thickness too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 12:51:20 am »
The string "barely bisects" the handle. I'm not sire why that is a problem. The sring is on the handle. Pics would be nice. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline steve b.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 01:51:11 am »
I have a couple vine maple bows like that and I had some success steam heating the bent area and bending the other way.  But I didn't care if I destroyed the bow in the process.  I steamed for an hour then quickly clamped it on edge in a stave press and hung about 40 lbs. of weight from the end of the limb, bending it slightly further than I intended, knowing that it would spring back some in the next 24 hrs. 

Its hard to bend the bow laterally like that and I know guys who would bend the handle instead.  Or you could do a little of both.  Depends on the wood, depends on the  size of the bow, etc.
It is a little puzzling that yours is so bad that the string pops off yet the string falls near the handle anyway.....?

Offline Newindian

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 07:39:55 pm »
I've shortened my string and that seams to of solved my problems
I like free stuff.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 08:17:58 pm »
oh good.