Author Topic: Beach nut?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Jesse

Beach nut?
« on: October 15, 2007, 11:19:13 pm »
I was walking through the woods on my dads land and found some really straight smooth barked trees. My dad says its beach nut. I was wondering if it was any good for bows. Dont want to cut one unless it works good. Thanks                     Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline snedeker

Re: Beach nut?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 03:28:23 pm »
it is called simply beech (if thats what it is)  Genus Fagus in the oak family.  Its moderately good for bows. 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:36:14 pm »
Most of the beech here in the UP is twised gnarly stuud, I recently tried splittin a log that looked straight but
the grain cork screwed around the log. :(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:16:27 pm »
Thanks for the info. I think I will leave the trees alone. Good to know it can work though.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:13:26 am »
I do have one stave drying, don't let me discourage you, cut one that looks stright and try it. If its junk it is good firewood.
Lots of our beech is dying off due to some bug or disease. Also the Emerald Ash Borer has crossed the bridge and made it into the UP so
we probably can kiss our Ash goodbye also.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI