Author Topic: band saw advice  (Read 2194 times)

Offline darwin

band saw advice
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:06:11 pm »
I want to get a band saw, but i live in an apartment. I do all my work in our fenced off porch and carry all my tools in and out of the house. So the only band saw that would work for this situation is one of the smaller ones like you can buy at home depot (i think its a ryobi)

So here is the question is it worth it/will this smaller band saw be suitable for bow building?

here are the stats
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/power_tools/benchtop/BS903

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: band saw advice
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:27:35 pm »
Darwin, my first bandsaw was a 9" grizzly. It worked OK but I opted to get a 14" at a later date and had the room for the bigger saw.
 The small saws will work fine if you don't horse them. Take your time and go slow and you will be fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 02:04:35 pm »
My first several bows were roughed out on a 9" bench model bandsaw.  Not the best tool for the job, but it will work.  I would try to use smaller staves with it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline darwin

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:47:28 pm »
Ok thanks for the help guys since we are going to be in the apartment for at least another year a 14 in was not an option

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 03:05:30 pm »
I would check around and see if there are any 3/8" blades that will fit it.  I have never had much luck on my old saw when I use 1/4" or 1/8".  I used 3/8" inch for years roughing bows bone and knife handles.  Now I can't find them for a 56 1/8" saw.  I did notice the one you are looking at is slightly bigger so maybe you will have better luck than I am.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 03:20:47 pm »
You might try your local craigslist for a saw that size.  You might save some money on a used one.  The Delta benchtop saws are good ones also.  And Madcrow gave some good advice on the blades.  You want the biggest blade with the fewest teeth that will fit the saw.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline darwin

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:36:20 pm »
good to know thanks guys