Author Topic: Arrows for youth bow?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Meowndy

Arrows for youth bow?
« on: January 19, 2013, 06:05:59 pm »
Do you need a specific type/size arrow for a youth bow? Length is 38" tall and 21 max draw.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Arrows for youth bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:14:21 pm »
length of the bow is 38"?  you would need youth arrows that are around a quarter inch in diameter. it also depends on the weight of the bow. if you have a heavy bow you will need a heavy spine arrow, if you have a light bow you will need a light spine. Spine is the amount of resistance an arrow has, some have a higher spine, and thus resist bending more than the lighter ones
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline warpath

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 06:58:33 pm »
Your arrows should match the draw weight of your bow. Get some cheap arrows to start since they'll most likely break as you practice (most of practicing when starting out is trying to not miss the target). Arrows that are too light and they'll fly wonky, too heavy and they'll drop in flight (won't fly as far).

Length is important, you don't want an arrow thats too short. Arrows that are too long aren't too big of a deal, though. We usually advise getting arrows as long as possible so that if the arrow breaks (and that usually happens close to the tip) you can cut the arrow shorter and keep using them.

The big question is what kind of bow are you shooting? Is it wood? Fiberglass? Some form of combination? Is it a longbow/ flatbow? Recurve? They all shoot different, and different types of arrows will fly differently. Best advice for everything concerning starting archery is experiment and find what you like best.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:42:27 am »
5/16" poplar dowels work just fine
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:08:33 pm »
5/16" poplar dowels work just fine

Ditto, quick and easy from the store.  Fly just fine with my kids' bows.   Wally world has been having a good selection and they're only about 50cents each:)  Weed through them though, there'll be some funky ones!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:12:06 pm »
If draw weight is 15# or less I would use 1/4" poplar arrows. Work great from the 10# bow I buil for my cousin and fly like darts out to 10 yards. they sell 60 grain 1/4" field tips for kids arrows as well.

Jon

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:43:18 pm »
Isn't 21" a rather Long draw for a 38" bow?

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 06:45:54 pm »
you can get that draw on a light weight bendy handle bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹