Author Topic: Red oak pyramid, help  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Red oak pyramid, help
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 07:10:09 pm »
So I got a little impatient last night waiting to see what everyone had to say and just went with my best thought. I decided to round the handle and make it more comfortable. It is pretty much bending a little through the handle. I'm afraid if I glue a rise on it wont stick with the glue because of the bend. Any ideas for a good beautiful backing? I'm making this for my dad for his birthday which is Tuesday and I really want it to look like all the beauties I see on here.
That's double think worthy of a marketting executive!
"It's bending... so I'll stick on a riser to stop it bending...but it will bend and pop off the riser"
NO! Stopit! Go and sit on the naughty step and think it through!
If you glue a decent riser on properly (with decent preparation and using a decent glue, like you would if you were splicing two billets), it won't bend, and so it won't pop off.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 07:31:10 pm »
so what ya got against building it up with leather del, got a burr under your fur? >:D
didn't say it WOULD pop off, but that it liklly would, the leather or cork will allow it to bend with no problems and it look's nice
the only way I've added a riser after the build is by laming thin strips together
there is more than one way to skin a...well you get my drift :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 04:17:26 am »
I know he wants a crossbow and I'm just trying to figure that out myself still so I'm working on it. (haven't even started). I will make one and I can't wait until I do. The hardest part will be hiding it from him so he doesn't know i'm making one:P. I'm stuck in between adding a riser and not adding one. I thinned the handle down to only 1inch wide for about 4 inches, then it fades out 2 inches to about a width of 1-1.5. I'm going to run up to the craft store tomorrow to get wool for silencers, some cork, and hopefully some new types of lumber at my local hardwood suppliers. I'm trying to start on new designs/wood. I love making the bows so much that I barely get to finish the one I began before. Anyone else have the same problem? I'm sure i'm not alone on that one.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 04:50:56 am »
so what ya got against building it up with leather del, got a burr under your fur? >:D
didn't say it WOULD pop off, but that it liklly would, the leather or cork will allow it to bend with no problems and it look's nice
the only way I've added a riser after the build is by laming thin strips together
there is more than one way to skin a...well you get my drift :laugh:
Yeah, you're right... I just realised I was talking out of my backside :-[
I have nothing against a leather backing build up.
It's just that if you narrow down too much without a riser then obviously it can become a weakspot.
A riser can be solid and unflexing or it can be a relatively thin lam which does allow flexing, but prevents the grip being a weak spot.
What I should said was... it's all about the prep and the gluing, do it right and you'll be ok.
So, other than being completely wrong... I was spot on >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 06:30:25 am »
that's cool Del, a lot of us suffer from indecision as the bow gets built, should I skin it, paint it, bangles and beads, sometimes we forget the beauty of the wood and a great tiller

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 09:40:32 am »
YOu can build up the handle with leather but if you glue on a piece of wood it will pop off. You handle is bending. Leave it alone and enjoy it. Tiller is excellent. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 01:35:10 pm »
Thanks guys, I just recieved arrows from mullet in the mail too:) I'm going to go test them out on the new bow!

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 04:12:40 am »
Anyone have pictures of a bow with glued on leather handles? I shot about 100 arrows through it today at my dad's "unofficial" birthday dinner and it shot so beautiful. It's my favorite shooting bow so far. (He has no idea it is for him). I told him I'm buying him something tomorrow and he bought it. I Just finished sanding it down with 1000 grit paper and rounding all the corners, etc. Now idk if I should just add a leather wrapping or build up the handle with leather first. Any ideas?

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 06:48:22 pm »
used a leather handle on this bowhttp://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,26484.45.html