Author Topic: Hickory backed Massaranduba - replaced backing page 2  (Read 6827 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Hickory backed Massaranduba -> Update @ bottom of page
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 03:24:15 pm »
I prefer to clamp the backing down onto a flat work bench. I then use a sanding block with 80 grit sandpaper and press it down firmly. Use LONG strokes with even, hard, pressure. It takes only three minutes to prep the hickory lam that way.

I also do it this way currently. I find though, that the sanding blocks I was using sort of rounded the edges of the backing and belly I wanted to glue up. So what I did is take a flat piece of wood, and glue down a 50 grit piece of belt sander belt onto it with tb3, and made sure it was flat and glued on real good. Using this block with the sanding belt glued on seemed to work better, and resulted in a flat good mating surface between the backing and the belly. Next time I will use some 36 grit to see if it is even quicker. Also, that backing had bad run out, I would blame nothing but the run out if I were you.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Stefan

Re: Hickory backed Massaranduba FAIl-> Update -> New backing
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 07:40:50 am »
With you help I finally repaired my second laminated bow. Tiller ain't perfect but it shoots good and I gained some woodworking and glue up experience! I still need to refinish it using danish or tung oil.

I have used a heat gun like you guys suggested to get the failed back off, I reglued a strip of hickory on there. I have used TBIII. Since I would damage the belly to much when using clamps I have build a jig for using bicylce inner tubes.

I shots some pics off the process. Thank you all for the usefull tips...

Greetings Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Hickory backed Massaranduba -> Update @ bottom of page
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 08:27:54 am »
It looks like a good save, Stefan. Congratulations. I hope she lasts a long time for you!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA