Author Topic: My first stone point  (Read 7058 times)

Offline Kegan

My first stone point
« on: October 17, 2007, 07:11:17 pm »
I got some obsidian last week, a couple pieces about as big as my fist. Had knocked some flakes off right after getting them, and finally got around to making a point. Below is my very first knapped head, and though it doesn't look too great, it is thin (about 1/8"), about an inch wide, and SHARP. I knapped it with a piece of sanstone I picked up and an old nail I found in the woods (how's that for neolithic, eh? :)). I went for a "no-notch" design I was shown a few weeks ago. The man was into Native American artifacts and showed me a bone point arrow that was seemingly glue in and the shaft wrapped tightly with sinew- figured that'd work great for my first try on stone :). I don't think I'm going to haft this one, as it is my first, but simply save it.

Muwahahaha, rocks >:D!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline david w.

Re: My first stone point
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:19:34 pm »
Very awesome Kegan. that is a great point. i wouldnt be able to tell it is your first one i would love to knap sometime
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:21:31 pm »
Looking at your hands I would say you have been playing with the fire drill again.  ;D I'm not trying to diminish your achievement, but it looks like a flake that you sharpened the edge.  Is it flat if you look at the side profile, or does it have an arch or curved profile?  Don't missunderstand me, it is a great looking point and a great start to your knapping career. I think you should at least haft it to primitive arrow and hang it on the wall. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:20:20 pm »
Looking at your hands I would say you have been playing with the fire drill again.  ;D I'm not trying to diminish your achievement, but it looks like a flake that you sharpened the edge.  Is it flat if you look at the side profile, or does it have an arch or curved profile?  Don't missunderstand me, it is a great looking point and a great start to your knapping career. I think you should at least haft it to primitive arrow and hang it on the wall. Justin

... a point is a point now Justin ;D! But yeah, it is just a flake. I brought it to shape and then put a sharper serration on the edge. It'd make meat and that's all I'm really concerned with. I managed to knock two or trhee more flakes off that I got thin enough. They would probably need to be replaced alot more often than "actual" points, but they'd make meat :).

And yes, I've been playing with the hand drill ;D. Muwahaha-fire >:D!

jamie

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:21:45 pm »
dude the first thing i noticed was the handdrill scars ;Dvery effective point as long as its straight. better than my first thats for sure. i always ask myself why i waste my time pecking away flake after flake when there are plenty of easier to use pieces like the one you have there. once the edge is sharpened it works the same   peace

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 08:53:25 pm »
For making meat there is nothing wrong with that point.I would bet more abo's used a point like that and didn't care what it looked like as long as the belly was full.And I found a few here in Fl that was made from a flake,knapped on one side only and looked like it would shoot around a corner.Maybe Chris Cade will post one I knapped at his place with Hillbilly and Tom B.I was purposely trieing to knap thin flakes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 09:54:47 pm »
that's a great start Kegan!! Reminds me of a few years ago - I'd sit in the hotel room and work out a dozen a night, ya learn a lot no matter what procedure ya follow. I did get a few blisters with the preassure flaker but nothing like what you go there, and now i''m havin second thought's on learning the hand drill :D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 11:11:32 pm »
I think it's pretty cool.  I've often wondered why the thin flakes that come off a huge chunk of rocks are discarded.  I've seen a guy start off with a 50# rock and knock it down to a head 3 inches long.  I kept thinking that each time he knocked a chunk off, he was going to use it for the point.  He just kept throwing the flakes in a bucket and wailing on the original until it was his finished point.  Kind of like chopping up a 6 inch diameter tree and making a single arrow.   ???  I've never knapped (yet) so it's all magic to me.  Looks like a neat way to spend a few hours at night or around a camp fire.

Cowboy:  I take it you travel a lot.  I do too, but most of mine involves flying.  I wonder if you can put knapping tools in your Carry-on?   :-\ 

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 11:58:58 pm »
Like I said Kegan, not trying to deminish. It is a great point.  I usually get flakes with huge amounts of curve in them that wouldn't even begin to work.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 12:14:42 pm »
Thanks guys. Out of every six flakes I might get one that is kinda straight and thin. I liike using the curvy ones for knives :).

Cowboy- don't take my hands as an example... i kinda over do fire >:D!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 12:43:52 pm »
I don't know Otoe, with all the security they have goin on now woulnd't think theyd let ya through. I have been flying for the last ten years now and hate airports - if I'm within ten hours of driving I'll do that instead - and sometime's take a knapping kit with me.
 I'll try the fire thing again - I'm sure Keagan, just gotta ;D. I did try it one time with the little bow - got a puff of smoke was all, but now know I could do it.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 02:15:32 pm »
    I went through security at Louis Armstrong International  with a 3" stone blade in my shirt pocket.forgot it was there ::)
Lakeland, Florida

Robinwho

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 02:27:11 am »
Justin, what is the differnce if it is flat or have a curve in it ?
Does it fly better either way ?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 11:05:04 am »
  It makes no difference on the flight.Just penetration.
Lakeland, Florida