Author Topic: Wonky stave/bow trade  (Read 2557 times)

Offline sleek

Wonky stave/bow trade
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:07:07 am »
I reckon I just am developing a rash for punishment, so I came up with this idea. I would love to see some folks ( me included ) put up some staves on here to swap. Why? Well I have seen some staves in the What have you been avoiding? thread I created that just made me drool..... I reckoned others were drooling too. Logic being, if we all have staves we have been avoiding, and others want them, maybe others have staves we want also?

So I propose this, We all post staves that have a chance ( none of the, of course that wouldnt make a bow, its all rot staves ) but we are too iffy to touch. Then we all trade one stave for another. You dont have to trade with the person you are getting a stave from, but you only get one stave and you must have one to give to somebody.

To make it fun, I would like to have at least 10 folks on this, and try to have a bow built of your trade stave in say, 4 months? That way we can work on the bows passively without stress.  And to add to the fun, maybe ( participants can vote on this one ) the bows we make we swap with the person we traded from. Try to be sure there is a bow in there somewhere, or you may not get a bow! Of course, there is a reason we have avoided the staves we are trading, and the staves may break. Anyways, its an idea for fun. If you have a stave, post it on here, only after ten folks have posted will we start the trade.

If lots of folks show interest real quick, I will wait until a day or two passes after the last stave has been put on the thread for trade. When I say go, start your stave grab, first come first serve. I will say go shortly after midnight ( 1230 am is when I get off work to say go )  on the choosen day. Just tomake it fair, I will wait until at least 3 people have grabbed their stave before I pick. That way I aint got a head start ;) So what say yall?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Wonky stave/bow trade
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:28:28 pm »
I like this idea... I'll see what I have....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:43:10 pm »
Should the staves be posted here so that we can get general consensus that there is a bow in the stave?  I'm not real experienced so I have a stave that I'm not going to touch but it's just sitting in the rafters.  Should I post  picture of it to see if anyone wants it?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:50:25 pm »
Just a note to say make sure your stave is fully cured! With a four month time frame, the staves cant be green!

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:04:59 pm »
Great point keenan! Tim, yes the staves should all be posted here. Please provide a detailed description of the stave. Also, as you aren't a very skilled bowyer yet, please be confident that if you choose a stave from somebody, you can get a bow from it. The main goal of this is to have fun makin bows from hard staves, not to receive a bow from one, that's just a side benefit.  Of course, if you have stave you just wanna give away, that's fine too. If anybody has a sugestion on how to make this more fun, or a problem with how it is now, lemme know! I want this to be fun.

Offline danny f

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:12:41 pm »
i have a stave here if anyone wants to have a go its elderberry. it was cut over a month ago and reduced and sealed with wood glue on the back. and has been stored in a warm house im pretty sure its dry, elder seems to dry out rapid.  it is 55" long and 2" wide i reduced it to about half inch thick it is really twisted. i am not confident enough to do this bow yet or take someone elses stave but if anyone fancys a go with it they are welcome. only problem is im in the uk so shipping could be abit dear.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 05:34:14 pm »
Danny, that exactly the type of thing I had in mind for this. Thanks for posting, and I hope others join in. I will post my stave soon...

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:36:28 am »
Ok, it seems as though this trade will be interfering with the anual bow trade Blackhawk is hosting. Combine that with a seeming lack of interest, I think that this will have to wait.