Author Topic: staves  (Read 6413 times)

Offline kid bow

Re: staves
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 09:36:34 pm »
lol i have an xbox which i dont eve play too much. like i said outlaw i didnt mean to offend i just found out after i made the post
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 09:48:30 pm »
No worries.   :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Weylin

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 10:02:57 pm »
lol i have an xbox which i dont eve play too much.

The xbox wasn't the point. Just saying, that a parent these days should be happy that their kid is interested in woodworking and archery and not all the other crap that kids waste their time with. Good luck, I hope you can harvest some wood soon.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 10:26:00 pm »
lol i know i thought i would state it thought just so you know

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 11:07:59 pm »
Hey kid bow,

Thought I'd chime in here. I am almost exactly one year older than you are. I'll be turning 17 on February 15th. I have been into this primitive archery stuff for about 4 years now and I have been trading goods with other guys on this site for probably 2 years now. 

I started in your same position. No goods and not a lot of money. Here's what I did....

I bought a poplar board at Lowes for 3 bucks. Using only hand tools, I turned it into six beautiful atlatls. I tradeded 3 for staves and sold 2 for $20 bucks a piece. Using that money I began to purchase various things I needed. I bought leather purses and jackets at thrift stores, found old tools at garage sales, turned junk steel into functional knives, built and sold bows, making another $200 bucks into the process. Two of my bows are owned by members on this site and as far as I know, they are very satisfied. I have traded with as much generosity as I've been able to and have made small purchases here and there. Haven't had a bad trade yet and I've done probably 4-5 dozen. Youll find people are generous once they get to know you are a man of your word and do everything you can to ensure that they are just as happy as you are. I've never asked for something for free, yet the more deals I complete and the more friends I make, the more and more I find that people are willing to help me, and I would do the same for them.

I'm not trying to rip on you, I just want to let you know that it is possible to to turn nothing into something. Have a dream and stick to it. I can honestly now open my trades saying that I have a tone of stuff I can trade... All that from one $3 dollar board and a little elbow grease.

Good luck finding what you need.

Jon
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:17:34 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline TRACY

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 11:12:37 pm »
If I were to meet you and parents(prior approval and consent), would you be able to have them drive you north to Scottsburg IN some weekend to get a few staves? I'm busy on the weekends, but might be able to find time to meet you and parents to get you started on making some bows.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline kid bow

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 11:25:40 pm »
Ifrit thank you for giving me a push reading that i think i can do it.

tracy thanlk you for offering. i will check with my parents to see if its ok.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:34:52 pm by kid bow »

Offline oscar3b

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 11:33:51 pm »
Hey kid bow!  If you come down to Hedge's in March I might have a hickory stave I can hook you up with. 
Ben

Berea, Kentucky
27" draw
30-70# (though I want to build to 125 one day)

Offline kid bow

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 11:55:56 pm »
thank you ill try and see if i can go

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 01:48:51 am »
I know this might sound needy but does anyone have an extra stave I could trade for? I've only worked boards into bows and I would really like to try out a stave until I can get used to the trees around me and get some cut down and let them cure. I'd be willing to pay the shipping or trade (if I have anything worth your need, as I am also fairly new to bow building).

Not looking for any handouts just a little help getting used to staves and making stave bows instead of boards from lowes, etc.

Thanks guys, matt.