Author Topic: 2013 osage harvest starts today ( pics added )  (Read 5571 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: 2013 osage harvest starts today ( pics added )
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 06:37:17 am »
Thanks for the education ;D
I am originaly from Kansas and will be back to visit around Lawrence in spring and plan to make my first attempt at a real osage harvest to bring back to Minnesota.
Can I just seal the ends and split em later?

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 07:54:27 am »
Nice haul. Its a little cold for me to start on this years yet.

DuBois...... You can wait to split but they should be kept off of the ground and sprayed with insect repelant if it is going to be very long before splitting and removing bark and sapwood.
Steve Bennett

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 08:13:47 am »
Looked like a good time to me  :D

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 09:53:12 am »
    every year, harvest for the future. thanks for posting this.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:14 am »
Nice stuff Danny. Gotta find somewhere to harvest some osage myself, down to just a few less than good staves of it in my shop. :(
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline country

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 01:03:50 pm »
AH AH Kansas .... from the Pony express to the Chisholm trail we got Osage trees all over hail(?) Lol but finding straight one's can kick your tail ......   :o.  Nice haul s.w.    I'm a bit further up state from you.. but l need to head out to the farm and restock too .. wish we had more hickory around here too

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 03:17:46 pm »
    You guys make me sick (with envy). The best wood I have locally in any sort of quantity is birch. It makes nice bows, but is limited in design because it has to be wide, so they all come out about the same.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 04:37:21 pm »
Dubois I like to try and keep anything from messing up my bow wood so I seal the ends immediatley and split them aand debark them as soon as possible for a couple of reasons.

1) Splitting soon because the more mass there is especially on larger logs the more likely they are to check on the ends even if sealed  and I don't want the log to determine where I take the best possible stave out of it. 2) I split soon because I want the stave to dry out faster and if I give the moisture a belly to release in it is less likely to check and it will have less mass and therefore cure sooner.

Debarking I do as soon as possible because I want to elimnate the chances of bugs and once again I want there to be less mass in the wood when I store it so that it releases the moisture sooner. Another side benefit is that once its debarked and sealed, there is less work to do when I get ready to make a bow with it some time in the future. I know its alot of work but its worth it.

Blackhawk your right...it is fun

To those of the rest of you that don't live in osage heavan I understand your pain and am very grateful to live in a bow wood oasis. We literally have all sorts of different kinds of woods around here that will make servicable bows. Oak, ash, hackberry, osage,sycamore, ERC,pecan,walnut, both black and honey locust, hawthorne, mulberry and elm. It is not like that everywhere in Kansas but I know down here in Southern Kansas along the rivers and creek bottoms its a veritable smorgashboard of possiblities in these riperarian environemnts. Thats also why the deer and turkey hunting is so good.

Country....pecan is related to hickory, albeit not qutie as tough but it'll still make good bows. I am only interested in working with osage and hackberry at the moment . Where abouts you at? You might wanna come down and shoot the course with us some weekend when we get together to make bows and have fun. We host a couple non publicized events each year for a select group as well as shooting the course just about every weekend. The course I'm talking about is our stuffed animal course. Its a blast.

Rob I guess if it were me I would be doing some networking with someone in an area that has good bow wood and plan a trip once a year to gather what I thought I might need.

Greg....I am subconsciously planning my next foray already. Gotta keep that thing going like its on auto pilot. That way you never run out.

Thanks turtle and your welcome Chuck
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline country

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 05:07:56 pm »
THAnks for the invite sounds like you guys have some good fun down there .  I'm up in Manhattan

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 05:53:00 pm »
I'm about four miles north of Ark city along the walnut river. If your from Manhatten that probabley makes you a Wildcat but we won't hold that against ya your still welcome. Rock Chalk jayhawk. lol

Offline country

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 07:19:34 pm »
Yea we bleed purple here.   Go Cats  ;D

Offline jimmy

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 10:42:25 am »
Another good day with a good amigo.  Cuttin and splittin, then shootin a stuffed monkey with our osage bows.  I can't wait to make a bow out of the fabled "red osage" that we harvested.  That log looks like it was impregnated with magic osage resin.  It was dark orange when cut, with heavy red streaks throughout.  I'm day dreamin about it right now.  Do I have to wait a whole year? 

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 11:30:15 am »
Yes it was a good day. I had forgotten about the log with the dark red in it. I am hopeful on that one too. I suppose if one was in a hurry that it could be roughed out and ready in a few months. For me I will wait and just work some of the stuff thats already there. The when its the right time bust out the dense red stuff.  Danny

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 12:03:13 pm »
Nice looking haul.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 03:27:38 pm »
Thanks pappy