Author Topic: Numbers of arrows taken turkey huntin.  (Read 2350 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Numbers of arrows taken turkey huntin.
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:15:58 pm »
I don't know about you guys but I'm gonna take 6 arrows with me turkey hunting.Make sure I got plenty of bullets.....LOL.I've shot these turkeys with a shotgun before with two strutters there and after the shot the other strutter keeps on a strutting......LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Numbers of arrows taken turkey huntin.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:49:09 pm »
If you are lucky you will get one shot but you never know. Better too many arrows then not enough.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:59:35 pm »
I am only carrying 4 this year 2 steel broadheads, 1 stone point and a judo
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 11:25:49 pm »
So me and Mikey are out a hour before sunrise.  We sneak up this almost vertical cliffside to get under this incredible roost site with an estimated 40 birds roosting on it.  I get him set up so close that when the birds pitch down out of the tree to land, they are kicking dust and pine needles on us when they hit the ground.  There are almost a dozen gobblers of various ages in full strut on all sides of us.  We are in like Flynn!

The birds start heading up the hill to our left and the last to start up the hill was the biggest of the gobblers.  He's in full strut and standing 4 ft from Mikey.  We are pinned down and our hearts are hammering away.  Finally the gobbler starts to slooowwwwwllllllyyyy make his way up the hill.  He stands at full strut at no more than 10 yds with his back to Mikey.  Perfect set up.  I've seen Mikey make this shot at his target from every position possible while sitting.  This is easy-peasy.  Mikey slowly draws back to full draw.  The full fan blocks the gobbler's view giving the hunter every opportunity to take his time with the shot. 

I hear a slight exhalation just at the instant of release followed by this sickening fabric slap-scrape and the arrow bloops to the ground only halfway to the bird.  The string caught his sleeve!  But incredibly, the gobbler just stands there NOT MOVING!!!

"Shoot again!" I whisper at a tone just a bit quieter than a full-throated scream.  Mikey whispers back, "I only brought the one arrow". 

There ain't no figuring this guy some times, ya know?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:59:13 am »
   Just like buck hunting I've carryed 3 for 30 or so years. If I miss 3 times I'm perty pissed by then and ready to go home.

I use'lly gobbler hunt every day of our season which comes in MONDAY. And I'm tired of killing graas clumps and cow pattys. I'm ready to kill something.
   Shooting gobblers with a self bows not that hard. You just can't set up like you have a shot gun in your hand.
  I never set up right up close on roosted birds. But set up 100 yards or so on a deer trail leading to a field. A cluck or 2 is all it takes. I know this is totally not what you see on TV. WHAT DO YOU WANT GOOD FOOTAGE OR A DEAD BIRD. I set up with my back to the on coming gobbler and let him walk past me. My granddady used this on a lot of hiis 312 gobblers and he used a shot gun. He hunted 5 states and all this old school hunting friends did this.

AND IF HE KNEW I WAS TELLING YOU THIS HE'S BE PISSED.

Beleive me it's mush more exciting that watching the gobbleing gobbler out in front of you.
   There just like deer he'll take the easyest route and he's strut down that deer tail to you and right on  past. You just have to have the patince to let him walk by you and thats hard to do when he's gobbleing behind you 10 yards. His attentions out in front of him and you. Looking for that hen . So drawing your bows alot easyer. Than trying to do it if he's in front of you comeing to you.

I know you've been told never call up gobblers early in areas your going to hunt. Not true at all my granddad his friends, his dad, granddady all did it. Can any of you say you don't need the practice calling gobblers up or learning how to set up. I've called up 13 this spring already. All of them are birds I'm going to hunt. You not only get in the calling practice but you just showed your set up will work.
  There's just one simple thing you must do. THATS LET HIM WALK AWAY UNSPOOKED. He'll never know how close he came to dieing.
   Gobblers here hens all the time and by the time he's figgered out she's not comeing he go's looking never to find her. How many times do you thing he never finds the hen. Lots shes moved on. Do you thing he becomes call shi. and quits going to hen calls.
  HELL KNOW HE DON'T
  So if you call him up and let him walk away unspooked he knows no different. He thinks the hen just moved on.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:48:18 pm »
It's when you call a gobbler in and he busts you....then he is gonna get call shy!  Knowing when to say when is the key.  That takes experience. 

But how do you get experience?  By screwing up, what else!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.