Author Topic: Melting and cleaning Pine Pitch?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Melting and cleaning Pine Pitch?
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:23:49 am »
I was just wondering if you guys and girls would think this would work.  I have a couple of older lead melting pots, the bottom pour style.  I have a lot of the real soft, gooey pine sap.  Do you think the lead pot would be too hot to melt the sap down, and then use the bottom pour spout to drain down the clean sap into a container?  I have one that has a heat control on it, but even at the lowest setting, it will melt lead?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Melting and cleaning Pine Pitch?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:49:14 am »
Probably to hot,guess you could give it a try. I just kind of simmer mine on the stove[my outside stove] and the pour it off through a strainer to clean it up.
Just soupy but not boiling.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:23:06 am »
Charlie, you can boil it in water and that will seperate the pitch from the trash. I only did this once at the camp-orama and it worked pretty good.
  Pitch is very volatile and will combust if it gets too hot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 05:05:15 pm »
One other thing with water which does not pertain to this.  I was mixing up some pitch today and got really bored swirling the stick in it, then dunknig it in water to cool it and repeating to get it on the stick.  I very slowly poured the warm pitch in the coffee can fill with cold water.  After about two minutes, i pulled out the ugliest blob I have ever seen.  Semi hard and easy to handle.  I separated it into a couple of clumps and roled it into glue sticks.  Looks like big turds.  but it worked.