Author Topic: Warbow arrows  (Read 3964 times)

Offline RobertofGwent

Warbow arrows
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:07:32 am »
I'm making some EWBS Standard arrows and was wondering whether anyone else uses only hand tools to cut the horn inserts? I don't have anything that cuts a wide enough slot for the horn inserts and have to spend a long time widening the gap with files and sandpaper. Currently I use a tenon saw, but it's still quite slim. Ideally I'd like to do as much as possible using traditional tools only - I know it's quite mad, but that's what I'm interested in. Can anyone suggest a saw that will produce a wider cut? I suppose it would be just under the 2mm mark.
R

Offline WillS

Re: Warbow arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:33:56 am »
I use a mini saw that's in a multi-tool like a Leatherman.  Works perfectly as it's short and easy to control, and gives an almost exact fit.  I use sandpaper or a mini file to perfect it.  Once you get a routine going, it doesn't take too long.  I can get through 24 arrows in about 30 mins - 1 hour using just the mini saw and file.

I do know that you can tape three hacksaw blades together, the middle one leading and the outer two backwards, and that gives you an almost perfect sized slot.  I've used the three hacksaw blade method a couple of times and while it works pretty well in terms of size, I find it pretty tricky without a jig to keep the slot as straight as possible.

Offline RobertofGwent

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:09:18 pm »
That's true - I also find hacksaws too shallow to keep straight very easily. The number of small teeth is useful though, to keep the cut fine.

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:10:55 pm »
Have you tried using a tile saw?  Most people use them for the string nock, but they're about 2.6mm diameter so can't be far off. 

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:21:54 pm »
Tape 3 hacksaw blades together. Works great, and cuts the perfect width slot.

Offline Loki

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 12:45:27 pm »
I use a backsaw to make the cut and emery cloth to thin the horn strip.
Durham,England

Offline RobertofGwent

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:16:24 pm »
Willis - I have used a tile saw for the nock, but again it's v difficult to keep a straight line when cutting the insert slot the required 2" as the tile saw is so slim.
Loki- Is that a Japanese saw - do you think that a back saw is easier?
Can you take much off with emery cloth? How much do you have to work the horn inserts in order for them to be the right width?

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 04:35:39 pm »
I haven't bought one myself but you can actually buy a nock cutting jig, which in essence is a round or square block of metal with a clamp to hold the arrow.  It has two different depth slots cut into it in a cross formation which allow you to cut perfectly straight slots, one for the horn and one for the string nock. Seems like cheating to me  ;) but if youre struggling with your current tools it might help a bit?

Offline RobertofGwent

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 06:39:50 pm »
I've got a jig for the nocks, but I'm trying to do without, to be honest. Maybe the medieval fletchers used something similar - who knows? There's no evidence. I feel that with practice I can cut a fairly straight line, but it's the width that bothering me.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 06:44:07 pm »
With just a wee bit of practice, it's actually quite easy.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 07:12:34 pm »
Robert,

If you want it traditional then the Mary Rose arrows have quite a thin sliver of horn, not buffalo horn, of around 1/6th".  If you are struggling with the cut wandering try cutting with a single blade on the hacksaw and then whatever multiple you need, as adb says.  The trouble with a tile saw is it cuts in any direction which makes it harder.  Ascham recommend a deep nock for war for"surer nocking" and this is about 1/4" based on the Mary Rose arrows.

BTW if you are based in Gwent and like warbows you may be interested in our shoots,  Click on the Warbow Wales link as we have one coming up on March the 3rd for Dewi Sant's Day near Chepstow.

Jeremy

Offline Loki

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 07:50:45 pm »
Loki- Is that a Japanese saw - do you think that a back saw is easier?
Can you take much off with emery cloth? How much do you have to work the horn inserts in order for them to be the right width?

Yeah I think the backsaw works best because it only cuts one way so it's easier (for me) to make the cut straight. It takes a bit of elbow grease to work the horn inserts down with emery cloth but you could use a power tool . I work all my horn inserts down to 2mm wide and 2" long.
Durham,England

Offline RobertofGwent

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 06:00:42 am »
Thanks for all the advice. Jeremy - I was at the Henry V shoot last year with Windrush Bowmen and we're and planning to attend the St David's Day event next month. Do you have a source for cow horn and Welsh Elm staves?

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 07:34:07 am »
Hi Robert,

Sorry I'm useless with names but faces I don't forget.  Google Highland Horn for antler and horn products, I've found them very good.  Brian, who you will have met is the person to talk to for wych elm staves.  He will be at the shoot for a chat.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Offline RobertofGwent

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 02:19:36 pm »
Jeremy - I had a look at Highland's website. Will certainly follow that up. I also found some on RH's website. Think I will make my insert slots slightly narrower as you suggest, as I have found my coarsest file works well with the buffalo horn held at one end by a vice. Three arrows with inserts now glued up and setting. I have found the horn tricky to cut with a saw in the past, but have discovered the joys of a wide chisel and mallet. A few taps to mark a line then whack it in the middle and it splits quite nicely.