Author Topic: Pentacryl or PEG wood stabilizer?  (Read 3532 times)

Offline KPT

Pentacryl or PEG wood stabilizer?
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:14:23 am »
My intrigue with native plant use (ethnobotony) has led me to cutting several large Ocean Spray stems from which I would like to make bows. I'm green as grass and what little I know about building a bow I've learned from this site and have just now received my First Addition Bowery. According to articles on this site Ocean Spray will split and crack immediately if not stabilized. I have the stems sealed and put away to to dry for what everybody says will be a year. I might even be ready by then!
The threat of cracks and splits along with the thought of waiting a year caused me to drag out my book entitled "Understanding Wood" by Hoadly. As I had remembered Hoadly states that cracks and splits can be eliminated with the use of Polyethylene Glycol (PEG). On-line research led me to another product (Pentacryl) which might even be better than PEG. Wood turners face many of the same problems as bowers when dealing with green wood. These two products are available at woodworkers stores like Wood Craft and Rockler. I'm not sure that drying times will change but they just might if you don't have to worry about cracks and split. I intend to give Pentacryl a try.
Does anybody have any experience with these products?

Offline PatM

Re: Pentacryl or PEG wood stabilizer?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:34:52 am »
Pentacryl is good and used by some bamboo flyrod makers to impregnate bamboo sections to stabilize them. PEG is not really something you want to use as more than just a cut end treatment for bows.
 Pentacryl sets in the wood cells quite similar to the way that natural resins build up in the heartwood.