Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 547848 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #555 on: February 21, 2013, 07:55:14 pm »
Get a room you two.  >:D

Jealousy is ugly on you doc.....you wear happy much better!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #556 on: February 21, 2013, 08:00:38 pm »
Do any of you guys work for a living? ???

Heck yes! And I have two boys and a wife, a dog and a huge Maine coon cat. I spent good money on my hand tools and I have a proper bench and vice. That makes all the difference for me Bulldog. My ferriers rasp is top shelfer, Shinto's speak for themselves and my scraper is plain mean and will hog wood when sharpened up. I have a Lakeside antique drawknife Bevan R gave me a few years back. Its amazingly accurate and smooth to work with. I have spent 5-6 hours on my swapper so far, thats it with good tools. I had to heat the bugger up thrice. I didnt like doing that, but I had to get the string tracking corrected.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #557 on: February 21, 2013, 08:26:51 pm »
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Blah, Blah, Blah....I want to be just like you when I grow up!! ::)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #558 on: February 21, 2013, 08:41:35 pm »
Dang It PD,

You got me Counting Asterisks...   ::)

That is a Beauty!

I'm down three more rings on my primary candidate, only three or four more rings to go.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #559 on: February 21, 2013, 08:43:29 pm »
Pearly forgot to mention he has massive gunships for arms.  He can probably take the bark and all the sapwood of an osage stave with one swipe of that drawknife  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #560 on: February 21, 2013, 08:47:11 pm »
In my neophyte experience as a bow builder, I'm coming to realize that some the bowyer gurus have learned "what is not a bow" in a piece of wood better than some of us--me have.  That being said, I've spent 6 hours today chasing a ring on an osage.  The last ring I chase from a bark down took about 40 minutes.  I'm going backward. haha  I swear I think thick ring osage is more difficult to chase than medium to small rings.  There more wood to remove to get to the ring you want.  And there were a couple of large knots to work around on this one.  Even though the knots will not be in the bow I wanted to make sure I didn't rip a section of wood that would be in the bow as I worked around them.  And, I played a little for practice to work those knots down and clean out the rotten pithe. 

It was a good day in the work shop.  Now, I need some hot tub time.  :)

I'll post pics later tonight.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #561 on: February 21, 2013, 08:50:59 pm »
someones bow is boxed up and going out tomorrow some place in the US . I will give you  another hint it is south and just a tad west of me . I hope _____ is happy with it.

I live southwest of you  :)  But, so does about 50 other folks in this trade  :(
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #562 on: February 21, 2013, 09:52:35 pm »
Dang It PD,

You got me Counting Asterisks...   ::)

That is a Beauty!

-gus

SUCKER! I seriously counted them so they would add up to a common amount in most first names....hahahahahahaah! FISH ON!!!!

Offline bcbull

« Reply #563 on: February 21, 2013, 10:47:06 pm »
Steve got 2 yew a Osage a hackberry and a ocean spray n a piss elm sittin in corner gonna go shoot tmw sat 2 nd round for triple crown 3d shoot no bow wk this weekend gotta take the Missy's shooting keep her happy lol brock

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #564 on: February 21, 2013, 11:45:09 pm »
I got some bulk off my swap bow today and made myself a new pipe. Going back to have round one of heat. Round two tomorrow and then tiller away I think.

These bows are looking awesome!
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #565 on: February 21, 2013, 11:56:05 pm »
Pearly forgot to mention he has massive gunships for arms.  He can probably take the bark and all the sapwood of an osage stave with one swipe of that drawknife  ;D
;D  ;D  ;D

Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline coaster500

« Reply #566 on: February 22, 2013, 12:11:26 am »
hackberry anyone  ???  ::) ...just whipped out this one in an hour...ready for some tempering >:D  8)

Only thing that got whip in an hour here was me  :P

That's going to be a very cool Hackberry!!!

Nice job drums but to many ***********'s to be coming west :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #567 on: February 22, 2013, 03:12:16 am »
After round one I'm looking pretty good.

In the caul.

Off the caul.

This is idea one. Red elm reflex/deflex design.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #568 on: February 22, 2013, 07:51:28 am »
Killer profile Dave! It looks liek it held almost all of what you put in.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #569 on: February 22, 2013, 08:54:09 am »
Found a piece of hickory digging around in the shop .
Whacked it down to something that resembles a bow !
Man green wood sure works easy ,Its only been cut for 3 years !!
Now if I can get it dried out some how , and get the 90 degree twist out of it  !
Maybe I can get the shop warm enough to play with you folks !
Have fun !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !