Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 547847 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #795 on: March 05, 2013, 02:20:00 pm »
Thats gonna be a beuty for sure Scott.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #796 on: March 05, 2013, 03:21:03 pm »
josh look's happy happy pd, but who wouldn't be, sweet bow chris
that's looking fine scott
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #797 on: March 05, 2013, 05:48:58 pm »
Liking that bow you got going Stringman, looks sweet.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline danny f

« Reply #798 on: March 05, 2013, 05:53:14 pm »
heres how its looking now i have removed quite abit of wood from the outer limbs. where do you measure set from on a mollie? . i read a post the other day that said you measure from where the working limb fade meets the levers. is this true?? this bow has around 3/4" of set from there. but if i measure from the tips it has nearly 2". i may have to find a plan B. 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #799 on: March 05, 2013, 06:54:13 pm »
I saw that comment as well.  Thought about it and disagree, respectfully.  If you measure set that way, then you would have to measure reflex that way as well.  If only the levers are reflexed on an otherwise straight limb mollie, you have more tip travel, more stored energy.  The reverse would be true for set.  Willing to consider the argument, but I don't see it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline danny f

« Reply #800 on: March 05, 2013, 07:06:06 pm »
so does this mean i have nearly 2" of set? (before tip overlays which would reduce it abit) if so i think i will keep this and make something else as i dont think someone would be happy to recieve it. even though the bow shoots very well and fast. :(

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #801 on: March 05, 2013, 07:12:12 pm »
I like that bend Danny, much better.

My 2.32541367 cents on set. When I have a blank in my han dready to be floor tillered and after heat I stick the tips against the wall and measure from the wall to the back at the grip centerline. Then I tiller and shoot the bow 100 times. I repeat that process and the difference between the two measurement is set. If I had 4" of reflex when I started and ended up with 2" of reflex, my bow took 2" of set. Its the amount the wood has compressed since its intial form. Thats my take.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #802 on: March 05, 2013, 07:17:52 pm »
I'm not makin that call.  Just sayin that it's 2 inches of string follow either way.  Could try heat treating the belly to remove the set and stiffen it up.  ??

I agree with PD, the tiller looks good.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #803 on: March 05, 2013, 11:06:26 pm »
Time to check in. Here's a start on plan A. Got one tip bent last night and the other tonight. Thursday we start the tiller process.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline coaster500

« Reply #804 on: March 06, 2013, 12:10:52 am »
Nice curves Knapper!!

Plan A is lookin good :)!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #805 on: March 06, 2013, 12:29:42 am »
... i read a post the other day that said you measure from where the working limb fade meets the levers. is this true??

I resemble that remark.   :laugh:  Here's how it was explained to me by a guy who has made quite a few Mollies

"since the levers on the limbs do not bend ya got to measure limb set/ follow at the lever fades not the tip. Sort of like the indicator needle on a spine tester....the weight moves a fraction and the indicator moves a whole lot more, eh?"  Not saying anyone has to agree or disagree just saying that's what I was told and it seems to make sense to me.  You can not take set in a portion of wood that is not bending.  Right?  ???

Anyway...I think the tiller on yours looks pretty good too.  If it shoots really well...maybe you don't need to worry too much about the set.  I think we as bowyers sometimes get too hung up on set...myself included.   Anyway the bow looks good to me.   
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #806 on: March 06, 2013, 12:31:42 am »
hey Stringman.  Looks really cool.  Are those skins boa constrictor?

Look'n good Knapper!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline randman

« Reply #807 on: March 06, 2013, 02:59:25 am »
Lookin good Knapper. What's that steamer set up you are using there? Looks like a vaporizer or something. How does that work?
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline danny f

« Reply #808 on: March 06, 2013, 03:47:33 am »
thanks everyone, slimbob i have heat treated twice with this bow. not sure how many times it can be done. i will make a plan B anyway and see what they are both like  as i say this bow shoots good and fast. oh well it gives me an excuse to make another one lol.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #809 on: March 06, 2013, 07:17:20 am »
Looking good Knapper!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI