Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 548856 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #840 on: March 10, 2013, 10:37:16 am »
Try bumping up the point weight Bob, see if they quit hitting the riser. 6 3/4" seems high for a wooden bow, but hey the noise it makes is the real answer I guess? Mine are all under 6" and above 5 1/4".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline okie64

« Reply #841 on: March 10, 2013, 11:14:54 am »
Heres plan A and B finished up but Im not completely happy with either one of them so I think Im gonna start plan C.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #842 on: March 10, 2013, 11:22:50 am »
Never run short of good reasons to start another!  Like the shorty on the right.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline rps3

« Reply #843 on: March 10, 2013, 11:47:14 am »
I will try more weight in front, I havnt done that yet. Started with full lenght shafts and kept cutting shorter, spined from 45-55. If it ends up being too tempermental I will move on to the next bow.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #844 on: March 10, 2013, 11:47:52 am »
Haven't got to work on mine any since last weekend...had to come into work yesterday (Saturday), and in again this morning. Hopefully won't have to stay long, and can get some time later today to work on the hhb.

I've been giving a lot of thought lately to making a big change in my life...early retirement. Don't know how much longer I can go on under this kind of stress and some pretty major bumps in the past few years going down lifes road. I'm happy with simple things in life...in fact, that's what makes me happy. Like I've said, I feel the best things in life are free! None of us are promised tomorrow, I've seen too many co-workers stay in their careers longer than perhaps they should, and end up not making it to retirement after many years of hard and stressful work. I don't want that to happen to me! Maybe I'll try to go on another year or two, maybe not...maybe I'll get fed up one day in another ludicrous meeting like this past Friday and tell them what they can do with their "lean" manufacturing!

Don't know what this has to do with trade bows, but sometimes a guy just has to get $#!T off his chest! Hope you'll understand. I think I'll go home now and sand on my hhb trade bow to slick it up for some guy who hopefully will appreciate it, and know that I enjoyed making it, that it helped me reduce stress in my life, and resulted in a sense of accomplishment doing something with ones hands that I know you folks understand!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #845 on: March 10, 2013, 11:49:37 am »
Sometimes a guy has to get shitt of his chest..........no doubt.

Never run short of good reasons to start another!  Like the shorty on the right.

Me too. What are the specs on that one to the right okie?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:25:07 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #846 on: March 10, 2013, 12:20:09 pm »
So I'm not the only one having to move on to plan C huh Okie. :) Have to say though I like those two you have finished,  especially
the one on the right. Cool looking bow rack too.

Hope you get some time for some bow work today Greg, your right it can be a good outlet for stress relief. I agree about getting to an age where the simple things are the best by far. Hang in there man. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #847 on: March 10, 2013, 12:22:59 pm »
Hey Greg i hear ya loud n clear lol been down that road myself even aftr retiring early i got out they still call n beg me to go i gotta go next week for 8-10 weeks 7 x12 days and yep ill miss the classic because of it lol gonna have to put my bow stuff up for a while have fun Brock

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #848 on: March 10, 2013, 12:23:27 pm »

Me too. What are the specs on that one to the right okie?

Me three, you can send it my way :)
>>>---------->

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #849 on: March 10, 2013, 01:01:53 pm »
Greg, none of us are getting any younger and it is up to us to do what we have to do to survive...and IMO happiness is the #1 survival element.  If retirement was an option I would definately take it. Heck, I got on Social Security in Sept because I was elegable and don't see myself making the maximum I can over the next few years, even working 2 jobs. If I do make more than the allowable rate I will gladly pay the penalty. I'm sure you can find something to fill your time if you do retire. You may have less time than you do now but it will be your time and working/playing at your own rate. Your boss/company may miss you initially but your position will be filled soon enough and before long you will be just another ex-employee.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #850 on: March 10, 2013, 01:06:27 pm »
Okie:  Them are two nice looking bows.  I especially like Plan B on the right.  Don't see anything wrong with it from my eyes.

Greg:  I've been right in the thick of "lean manufacturing".  It sure gets old after a while.  Hang in there, pal.  Do what you feel is right.  Listen to your heart.  The bow thing helped me a lot with the stress also.

Brock:  WHAT?!!!  Miss Heather and I will be disappointed if you can't make it.  :(   We understand work duties and will miss you.  Hopefully, something will change and you'll be able to attend.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline bcbull

« Reply #851 on: March 10, 2013, 01:39:21 pm »
matt im upset also my boss came went elk hunting with me for a month this year he retired  they called him and me both back  he got all his retirment done and ss done mine s not all done and thru yet been fightin with all this crap all winter we had this big job come up im gonna go upgrade that 500 mg wt turbine to 550  so for 8 - 10 weeks i gotta start the 21 so im gonna miss this year not my choice but cant be advodided need the money so im gonna do it  you guys have to make MOJAM  pam and i will be gettin merried there bro lyle will do the honors haha so this year gotta do what i gotta do dont like it but no choice this is gonna set me back i got 3 bows cut out startin to tiller em  so ill have to put it on hold till im done and back  thinkin ill take my bow bench with me and them do if i do get a chance ill do some work on em  may even leave bench home call kennan have him ship be a new  bench to the motel  you guys have a balst BROCK

Offline okie64

« Reply #852 on: March 10, 2013, 02:13:36 pm »
Kinda surprised that everyone likes that plan b bow.
Dictionary, if i remember right it is 58" long, thats all im sayin. I dont wanna give too many hints.
Greg, the best therapy I know of is workin on a wooden stick and that hhb sounds like its gonna be a good one. Ive searched high and low for a straight hhb tree around here but am yet to fin one that wasnt twisted all to heck.

Offline bubby

« Reply #853 on: March 10, 2013, 05:11:54 pm »
I like'em both okie, but I favor the one on the right, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh B

« Reply #854 on: March 10, 2013, 06:55:46 pm »
Okie-I'm kinda diggin' plan b myself, although plan a don't look to shabby either.
Sorry to hear that you won't make it Brock.  I still don't know if I will either, but I'm trying like a steer!
GregB- work does suck sometimes.  I reckon that's why they gotta pay us to do it.  I ain't been home for awhile so my trade bow isn't even started yet.  If your recipient don't appreciate that ironwood bow, send it to me!  I think ironwood is the prettiest of all whitewoods.  I can't imagine anyone not appreciating one of your bows regardless of the species of wood anyway! 
Coaster- them yew sticks are lookin mighty fine!
Come to think of it, I haven't seen a work in progress yet that didn't start me to salivatin'!
This bow trade is off to a helluva start!  Josh