Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 547807 times)

Offline steve b.

Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #1560 on: June 13, 2013, 03:26:20 am »
Kenny, I use Transtint dyes from woodworking stores. 
Steelslinger, I would pull the bow by hand once you are tillered out to about 15" and fine tune based on what you see then.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #1561 on: June 14, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »
Brad, you might be able to reduce the width of those limbs to even things out.  I agree with okie that they need to bend a bit more mid limb, but with you being near target weight, maybe you could come in from the sides reducing the width a little at a time in that midlimb area, until you see the tiller affected just a hair.  Then you have a little bit more mid-limb bend, and brought the parallel limbs closer to pyrmaid, matching the front profile to your tiller.  Just a suggestion, others might disagree with such an approach.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1562 on: June 14, 2013, 03:41:07 pm »
Ok that kind of what I thought after lookin at the pics for a while.  I am currently 1# over target.

Don't rush into making the limbs look the same. If they bend evenly, and they do,  and it balances in your hand its tillered. Making both limbs look even doesn't always mean its balanced. Draw it by hand, if it feels as if the bottom is pushing the upper forward its too strong.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #1563 on: June 15, 2013, 11:43:11 pm »
Ok that kind of what I thought after lookin at the pics for a while.  I am currently 1# over target.

Don't rush into making the limbs look the same. If they bend evenly, and they do,  and it balances in your hand its tillered. Making both limbs look even doesn't always mean its balanced. Draw it by hand, if it feels as if the bottom is pushing the upper forward its too strong.

It does feel very balanced in the hand, and it seems to shoot very well. I have shot about 100 arrows through it so far and it has not taken any more set. So I guess I will call it good then. Thanks for the help.
I went ahead and ever so slightly flipped the tips  just to give it a little more grace. I am going to work on finishing this one up, and get started on another one soon.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1564 on: June 17, 2013, 07:39:51 pm »
the bow I sent should arrive any time now, hope it's in one pc
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #1565 on: June 17, 2013, 08:54:55 pm »
LESS THAN TWO MONTHS BEFORE THE DEADLINE FOLKS.... 8)

It hasn't showed up at my door bub... :-\

Mines done...just needs some grippers put on..n I'll try to get some pics up before I ship to my unlucky recipient

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #1566 on: June 21, 2013, 03:42:41 am »
Any progress going on?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #1567 on: June 21, 2013, 03:59:46 am »
I got plan B almost finished.  I'm still working on plan A.  So I guess I'm working a little backward.  Go figure.  haha

Actually, Plan B wasn't even a thought for the trade bow.  I've had back issues for a couple of weeks, So an intensive bow building session (standing for over and hour) was not in the cards.  But, I was jonesing to work on a bow and I had one nearly completed, so I decided to finish it up.  Well with a little tweaking it really surprised me how flat it shot.  At 10 and 25 yards the arrow didn't seem to much of an arc at all.  So, I've done a little more tweaking, induced about an inch more or reflex and am getting the handle  to bend a bit more.  If it holds it's weight, it might be a contender.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #1568 on: June 21, 2013, 11:22:50 am »
I have my sturgeon skins glued on, and I am working on my shelf and handle tonight.  With any luck I might be ready to ship in a week.

Offline okie64

« Reply #1569 on: June 21, 2013, 05:10:50 pm »
Got a sweet shooting, beautiful hackberry bow from bubby today.  :) :) :)

So I was in the middle of mowing my lawn and I saw the mail lady pulling up the road just like any other day, excepty today she stops and gets out and pulls a long tube outta the back of her jeep. I kicked the mower up into high gear and headed straight toward her, I think I might have scared her a little bit. To say I was excited would be a huge understatement. Mowing had to wait because I had to get this sucker opened up and shooting to see what I had. It is a sweet shooter for sure and put the arrows exactly where I was looking. I will get some pics up later as my mowing duties are calling me back now. This was my first year to be in the trade and it was a blast. I will definitely do it again next year. Thanks a ton for the bow bubby and thanks to everyone who made this trade happen. :) :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1570 on: June 21, 2013, 05:39:26 pm »
Lucky dog! That old fart from Northern Cali makes a clean, sweet bow. Im fortunate enough to have one myself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1571 on: June 21, 2013, 07:02:59 pm »
old but not dead smart a$$ >:D

glad the bow shoots good for ya okie, get some blood on that point this year
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bushboy

« Reply #1572 on: June 21, 2013, 07:07:18 pm »
Working on the elm stave I got from marc.removed some twist and kinks and got one recurve bent in last eveing. I used marc method with the wet cloth and tin foil and it worked awesome! Just gotta bend in the other curve ,heat treat and tiller.got my fingers crossed that the other curve goes well and I don't lose my tip alignment.I must say I have approach this bow very sheepishly cuz it's my first shot at a stave attempt.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #1573 on: June 21, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »
This is my progress,so far so good!going for a R/D design.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #1574 on: June 22, 2013, 12:26:37 am »
bush, the tips look pretty darn good.  I'm looking foreward to seeing your progress.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw