Author Topic: Sunday-go-to-meetin Black Bear quiver  (Read 5425 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Sunday-go-to-meetin Black Bear quiver
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 12:13:13 am »
That's awesome!  I think if you came to my sunday meetin' I wouldn't be able to pay attention to the sermon.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 01:32:17 pm »
Wow Rich, that's a beauty!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 08:41:41 pm »
That's awesome!  I think if you came to my sunday meetin' I wouldn't be able to pay attention to the sermon.

:laugh:
wild women don't get the blues

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 09:48:21 am »
Good looking quiver Rich. Damn kids still shooting your shed door full of holes I see? Id set up a camera and bust 'em red handed!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 08:30:01 pm »
Great quiver!  Besides loving the use of bearhide (never seen that on a 'plains style' quiver) I love the black/white contrast between the fur and the decorations.   

Offline half eye

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 08:51:34 pm »
Thanks fellas, Scowler@ the quiver is in the GreatLakes Riverine style (foot and canoe culture) where the quivers go toward the right shoulder and usually dont have a bow case (usually, some do exist but mostly not). The plains tribes, including the western Ojibwe (Bungi) were in the plains style which was over the left shoulder and usually includes a bow case and acessory pouch. It's my understanding that the plains style were done left shoulder so they could be rotated to the front and dropped over the whole body which made the arrows accessible to the right hand like in a saddle scabbard. The Eastern Ottawa, Ojibwe, Wyandot, Ho Chunck etc. usually carried thier bows in the hand.

I got the bear skin Idea from a plains style in Otis Mason's report to the Smithsonian, where he shows a Shoshoean black Bear quiver trimmed with ermine skin. Thanks for the compliment,sir.
rich

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 05:54:13 am »
Wow Rich,
Your functional art is always an inspiration too me.
your like the living Smithsonian Inst. ( on old joke intended  ;D )

I've said this before...You need to write a book and spread the knowledge, not that you don't already, freely and at anytime.

post more

Ron

God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 01:43:51 pm »
another beauty Rich. awesome stuff
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Scowler

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 08:53:33 am »
Thanks for the correction, half eye.  Learn something new every day.