Author Topic: Final Tiller on Mary Rose replica  (Read 16236 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Final Tiller on Mary Rose replica
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 10:29:30 pm »
Dont know if anyone has covered this or not. But next time get the handle and to move durring the last couple inches of draw. Looks a bit stiff in the handle and just up from there on the upper limb. Nice job though! I love Yew wood!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 02:03:13 pm »
Yes, looks a bit stiff. I would bet that when she goes to 32" she will bend out.

We will see.

SJM

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 01:28:47 pm »
The mid section is still somehow long and stiff. That said, MR originalls at least to judge from what seen on BBC were eliptically tilered, but with very high degree of circularity. A bow of this size when tilered perfectly circular will have the curve similar to circle of about 3 meters in diameter.
I found usefulon ANY bow to aim for wide tip, which both gives enough material midlimb toa chieve weight and also keeps the tips stiff and the set thus is minimalised. Also keeping the mid portion (means handle area plus minus 4´´ somehow stiff till the last tilering step is beneficial, because it is easy to overdo and end with bow which has too much mid-bend. Thus slow and shocky bastard.

Jaro

SimonUK

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 06:38:07 pm »
Looks great to me. Wish I could make a bow like that.

No picture of a bow seems complete without a few baloons in the background.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 10:49:53 pm »
have you shot the bow much? I would think that they would have quite a bit of handshock. I made one for a guy who provided the stave, it was 72" long and came in at 65# @29" and shot very well, but had some hand shock to it. just curious if these heavy bows are a brute to shoot. :)

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 10:58:05 am »
No, they do not have that much hand shock. Remeber these are histirical replicas so even if they did they are what they are. The horn nocks are what cause the handshock that they do have. The next one that I make will not have horn nocks. I will use the side nocks.

I think the other factor is that if you are tough enough to pull a bow like that then a bit of handshock is really not an issue.  ;)

SJM

duffontap

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 11:22:10 pm »
Ironic though it may seem, I have sometimes wondered if the whole purpose of the horn nock is to reduce tip weight.  Imagine how heavy a Yew self nock would have to be to last thousands of shots on a 120+ pound bow.  I think you would find that modest horn tips with carefully-piked bow tips would increase performance considerably over the bulky self-nock that is the alternative. 

What do you think?

J. D.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2007, 12:29:26 am »
I would think if someone were to use horn like a tip overlay with sidenocks wouldnt you get the lower mass with the suport of the horn? Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

duffontap

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 02:49:41 am »
You bet.  However, it may well have been impossible for them to have secured tip overlays with hide glue on long, rainy campaigns.  Having no historical precedent for tip overlays make them out-of-bounds for replication.  You will see some current war-type bows with tip overlays that are not intended to replicate--but to simulate.  If that makes sense. 

J. D.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2007, 02:54:13 am »
That makes a lot of sense. I didnt pay attention to the replicate part of the conversation. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline BowKids

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 01:01:57 am »
Could not resist. Pretty nice.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 10:13:39 pm »
I like! Nicely done and very close to full eliptical tiller.

About overlay!  I think you guys are right. I will be using overlays from now on on my yew bows since its such a bugger to get the horn nocks made, though they do look nice!

David T.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 10:59:15 pm »
Outer limb stiff is a Victorian idea along with stiff handgrip area. Tudor rules were otherwise. Ascham says 'round compasse'.
There is no doubt that means the arc of a circle as your bow was before 'correction'. Ascham also says to whip the ends  after a period of shooting, 'but not too much lest they whip in sunder', meaning thin them close to breaking point. This was thought to increase cast. You can see that MR bows were thinned in the last foot or so, one having even been whipped after the nocks were attached. No doubt many bowyers will prefer the improvements over those inferiorTudor ideass.

Offline akila

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 07:45:24 pm »
The tiller looks much better like this.....nice done..... ;)