Author Topic: Bow woods-just curious  (Read 10650 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Bow woods-just curious
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 12:31:45 pm »
Yew
Yew
Yew
yew
Buckthorn
Juniper
Vine Maple
Cascara   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 12:33:49 pm »
Pacific Yew, because it is the best....<----big period right there ;)

Ocean Spray, it is amazing. And scraping on Heat tempered OS makes the best smelling paper thin wood curls. Has to be one of the best smells I've ever known.

Vine maple, it is very tension strong and surprisingly dense.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 12:43:25 pm »
My favorite from experience would have to be the ERC It was quite fun to work with, although it did blow up. Hickory is nice, and oaks weather its white or red in board for are what ive used. If i had to try to get a hold of something id say yew or VM and oceanspray.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 12:57:57 pm »
I'd have to say hickory(just because it is so tough), HHB, Elm, (I've only made a few bows from each but was impressed), mulberry(good all around bow wood) and yew(only worked a few times but very impressive).
  Mainly it depends on what I have available that is well seasoned unless I'm making something specific.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 01:28:28 pm »
In my humble opinion both flowering and purple leaf plum are outstanding bow woods. 

Strong in compression and tension, easily moved with heat, durable, beautiful, easy to work, easy to harvest and suitable for many designs (from 48" bendy handle statics to 68 deep bellied long bows and everything in between).

For ease of building, flexibility in design options, forgiving characteristics, and down right "bowy-ness" (an important characteristic that I totally made up), I honestly can't think of a wood (including my limited experience with Osage and Yew) that I would rather build a bow out of. 

8 times out of 10, for me, its Plum.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline smoke

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 02:28:21 pm »
Just a beginner (fewer than 15 bows) but I'd go with hackberry.  For someone like me who has little skill or talent, it is very forgiving and easy to work.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 02:34:41 pm »
I have access, or have just about every west coast bow wood, I have tried osage and I would give it a #2 spot because of availability to me. My number one pick without hesitation is vine maple. You can cut vine maple wet and still make a bow that will do it's job. You can make a 70 inch bow, or a 55 inch bow and seems to resist moisture very well with a good finish. Yew is a fine bow wood, but very tempermental and does not do well in extremes in temps either way, and so it is down my list as top bow woods.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 02:54:18 pm »
I would hafta go with HHB... Im on the verge of replacing osage with ironwood as my #1... It really likes dry heat, its dense, takes multiple finishes well, and..... Im staring at several in my backyard right now, lol... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 03:03:08 pm »
Hickory,elm, hackberry locust:

hickory- because it doesn't break,
elm- because its fast and has interlocking grain (bad when splitting, good when under the knife),
hackberry- because its usually straight and limbless( if cut in a forest) and easy to work,
locust- because it smells good  ::)
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 03:14:25 pm »
I agree with Vinemaplebows that VM is also an incredible versatile and forgiving bow wood.  Easily in my top 5.

The reason I prefer plum to VM is that, while it shares all the great characterless of VM, it also often grows in nice straight staves which make it easier to turn a bow out.  Also VM doesn't like a scraper and plum is easier to work.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline JonW

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 03:18:42 pm »
Hickory or Elm. Cut in the spring and peel the bark. I need to try some HHB sometime though. I just can't seem to find it where I am.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 03:34:03 pm »
HHB 100%. I've been busy this winter with a bunch of kids bows from branches of the HHB that I cut in the spring, and they are wicked little shooters. I've also got a bigger HHB branch bow in the works and a true HHB stave all roughed out. I really like how this wood behaves. It packs a hell of a punch even in small packages and finishes up real nice. I've never had the priviledge of working with Osage so HHB is the best I know. Luckily it is relatively plentiful in these parts.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 03:41:27 pm »
I've made selfbows from many woods over the years. I cut my bow making teeth on black locust. Love it. It works easily and is quite durable. Hickory and white oak are not too far behind. Thank you for all your responses. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 03:58:18 pm »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned hard maple, it's light, works good, great in tension and makes a fast bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 04:14:28 pm »
yew (want to make a ELB)
ash  (to give it a try)
hickory (seems to have a good reputation)

have fun in the snow jawge. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee