Author Topic: Syrup again and Walking Sticks  (Read 3001 times)

Offline chigger

Re: Syrup again and Walking Sticks
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 07:16:42 pm »
Probably not Mullet,if they can live with it I can .
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:47:02 pm by chigger »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 03:56:16 pm »
I just try to keep other people from getting screwed if I see the same person trading again. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 06:04:05 pm »
  SWEETTTTT
 I use to make maple syrup every couple years. I showed a friend how to make it ,now for the last 8 or 10 years he makes it and I just trade him for it.
 I also use to make hickory syrup also. You ever make any hickory syrup. It's more labor intense than makeing maple. It's boiled from the bark,shag barks the easyest and best I think. Give it a try it has a totally different taste than maple.

My graddad also use to make sassafras and white acorn syrup. Ive never did it but have used both a few times. SASSAFRAS is differently a aquired taste. Totally I mean totally different taste. It's made from the bark like hickory.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline chigger

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 08:50:27 pm »

I tried to make the Hickory syrup one time but what I got I didn't like it .There is a restaurant here in Ky that makes it and people go wild for it but their recipe is a big secret.How do you make it? I've made a  lot of Sassafras  tea but I never heard of the syrup.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 01:30:50 pm »
It's been Too Long since my last glass of Sassafras Tea.
My Grandma used to take me out into the woods digging Sassafras roots.
The tea was Wonderful.
I couldn't have been more than Six the last time...
Now I have the urge to drive up to Sam Raburn and hunt Sassafras and a Sweet Spring on the
way out from Zavalla, TX.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 12:41:32 am »
  Sassafras, the barks boiled just like hickory. I can't tell you my granddads secrets or I'd have to kill you. But I will tell you this it's takes 6 or 7 hours of boiling and simmering the bark to make it.

My grandady grew up in the mountains of western VA. Untill he move here to WV in 1940 he was 40 at the time.
  He said they did'nt have any money for coffee so he grew up on white oak acorn coffee. He said they add a peice of sassafras bark to each pot of coffee. He still made white oak coffee when I was a kid in the 70's. He died in 99 he still collected acorns in the fall to make a few pots.
  He's also add sassafras bark to real coffee.  Not to much bark sassafras his strong amd over powering. I lived his whole life beside him and drank a cup of coffee just about every morning. I liked the sassafras added to the coffee.
  I never equired a taste for just plain acorn coffee.
  He said as a kid they'd geather wtie oak acorns by the 100 # feed sack full in the fall. He aid his mom would send him and his brother with 100 $ sack on each side of the mule. They'd walk the 8 miles to the store and trade it for salt,flour or what they needed.

His dad and him also made shine those 40 years. He said theyed add sassafras to there corn mash a few times also. I drinked my share of shine ( I LOVE CORN SHINE) but never sassafras shine.  After his 3 time being caught they were told either leave VA. or go to jail. They moved here to WV.
  HERE'S A UNREAL STORY
 The second time he was caught,he was running shine into WV from VA. in 1931 and was sent to MOUNDSVILLE prison for 2 year. His lawyer came to him and said WILL can you come up with $100.00. He told him to see my grandmother. The lawyer took 25, the judge got 25 the warden 50 and he walked home. He only spent 9 days in prison.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING