Author Topic: Glue on field point question.  (Read 4615 times)

Offline autologus

Glue on field point question.
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:28:15 pm »
What do you all use to glue on field points?  I know hot melt is used but is it different from the hot glue gun glue?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline WillS

Re: Glue on field point question.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:57:18 pm »
I've always used a two part epoxy like araldite.  I have also tried superglue on one experimental arrow, and so far, so good!

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:11:59 pm »
The hot melt I use looks like the glue gun hot melt sticks, but I am not sure if they are the same.  I got them years ago from 3 rivers (i think)  - and they would fit in my glue gun, although I use a candle when gluing on points and nocks.  I know lots of guys get all up in arms about this topic, but I have never had a problem. 

I dont like to use super glue, epoxy or other permanent glues, as I like to be able to heat the point so I can remove and replace it with others for tweaking spine and for making field point arrows into broad heads, when the need arises. 

My thoughts.  I am sure others will follow. 

Russ

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:06:17 pm »
I like the idea of being able to replace the tip by using hot melt but was wondering if regular hot glue gun glue was basically the same as the hot melt for arrows or was it significantly different.  I don't want to lose my tips in the 3D targets when extracting my arrows from them.

Grady

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:28:42 pm »
I use hot melt craft glue. The key to it working good is to be sure the cutting fluids are burned off the tip and you should roll up some 80 grit sandpaper and get the inside shiney and clean. They wont come off until you heat them up again. Skip cleaning them and they will all pull off fast.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 03:58:52 pm »
Excellent advice I will do that, thanks so much.

Grady

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 04:22:25 pm »
I use hot melt craft glue. The key to it working good is to be sure the cutting fluids are burned off the tip and you should roll up some 80 grit sandpaper and get the inside shiney and clean. They wont come off until you heat them up again. Skip cleaning them and they will all pull off fast.

+5
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DGF

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 02:40:33 am »
I like to use epoxy just because I like to make a mess.  ;D   It bonds great but when heated (and heated HOT) will still release. I've used Ferr-L-Tite hot melt with decent luck as well, but it sets us quick so I can't make broadhead adjustments as easily, and seems to set up a bit brittle.

I collected a bunch of pitch and plan to try and turn it into an adhesive that won't set up so brittle for this next fall. So far it's the best smelling adhesive of all I've tried, and free! 

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Scowler

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 11:08:11 am »
I use Ferr-L-tite.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:25:11 pm »
I use regular hot melt, just don't use the gun. I heat the end of the glue stick in a flame (its a small Butane torch) and smear a little on the tapered shaft. Then i heat the head in the same torch, pull it onto the shaft with a set of needle noses and dip it in ice water. I've had field points buried in oak trees and never had the head come off when extracting an arrow.