Author Topic: Osage with a big knot in handle  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Osage with a big knot in handle
« on: February 10, 2013, 05:45:26 pm »
Had a nice stave with a big knot and "S" curve in the handle area.  It was very difficult to tiller with one limb higher on the tillering tree than the other limb.  See the below pictures.  The knot would not let me remove the "S" with heat.  The limb to the right is the top limb.  Both limbs are similar in profile but different because of the "S" in the handle. I ended up with about 1/4" positive tiller.  There doesn't seem to be much hand shock.

What do you guys think of the tiller?  Would you have done it different?

Thanks
DB

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Weylin

Re: Osage with a big knot in handle
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:08:39 pm »
Beautiful! Nice work. I like the backing, is that turkey feathers?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:10:19 pm »
Great looking bow! I have a soft spot for statics.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:23:20 pm »
Weylin,
Yes turkey feathers, I used whats called "Flex Coat". I't's a two part epoxy. Fishing rod builders use it on the threads of the guides.  It is the first time I,ve done this and I'm wondering if it holds up.  Got about 150 shots and the coating looks good still.

Pearl,
I've been reading a lot of your posts and have learned a lot from them...........thanks,  and I'm partical to statics also.
Thanks again,

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 06:27:44 pm »
Looks like a shooter. I would say you did everything you could/should.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:31:42 pm »
Thats a beautiful bow and the backing looks awesome!

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:06:35 pm »
You did a good job with that stave...tiller looks good to me...good work

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:08:05 pm »
I think the tiller looks great! And I always like to see a good turkey feather backing :) those are cool. The flex coat interests me, how many coats did you use? Also, does it seem to have much of an ambering effect? What I mean is, is it clear or slightly yellow?
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 07:08:30 pm »
Wow , thats a fine bow! Nice work, the recurves and tips are top notch work and that back is real sharp also. :)

Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 07:11:43 pm »
Very nice looking bow - tiller looks good!  I am working on one now that has the same issue - limbs not even out of the handle.  Does make it a bugger to tiller.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 07:15:45 pm »
Great bow!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 07:20:20 pm »
Yeah the tiller looks good. NICE BOW!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 07:35:09 pm »
Db, that is a great looking bow. I think you did very well with the tiller and especially like the turkey tail camo.  With staves like that I think it is sometimes best to just work with the natural shapes instead of trying to force to many changes. You did that very well!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 07:41:55 pm »
, Thanks everyone for the kind words...............

Will H,
The Flex Coat comes in two different mixes.  Flex coat lite and flex coat HD which is thicker.  I use the thinner lite.  I apply one thin coat to the back of the bow, enough for about two feathers, then add a feather.  Over the top of that feather add another coat.  Move down the bow adding a coat, a feather, and another coat.  I think the trick is using a very soft hair brush.  As you put the top coat on the feather blends in and flattens out.  Like applying skins you need to make sure the feather rolls over the edge.  Once the flex coat begins to get tacky, if a feather does not roll over the edge you can with a light touch of the finger push it down.  I apply one more coat over everything after I trim the edges with a fine file. Similar to trimming skins.  The last coat needs to go past the edge to keep the feather from lifting.

Boy, I got long winded sorry...........to answer your question, one precoat , then feather, then one over coat,  after dry one more.  As far as coloring it's crystal clear.  And stays that way.  Back when I built rods I use it on the entire rod,  so I figure if it's flexable enough to use on a rod it would work on a bow. 

I'm building it for a friend so sure hope it holds up, ....I think it will.

Keenan,
I agree, when I cut and split the stave I planned the knot in the handle.  I've got another sister stave just like it.  I thought I would splice it out but it ended up fitting the hand real well.

Thanks again all
DB 

Thanks again
DB

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 08:03:19 pm »
I had to pull a "seabass" on this one and come back to look again! This is one of my favorite bows posted in a while. How does it look unbraced? Mine tend to slightly follow the string in the main limb.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.