Linked Events

• Hawkeye Bowmen Selfbow Shoot: April 19, 2013 - April 21, 2013

Author Topic: Hawkeye Bowmen Selfbow Shoot  (Read 10727 times)

Offline BrianS

Re: Hawkeye Bowmen Selfbow Shoot
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 01:53:28 am »

Here is a picture of one of the prizes for this year's shoot. It was hand carved by one of Hawkeye's Members.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 08:18:03 pm »
If your gonna make up here next year Matt, I'm gonna be sure to make it. I'd love to meet you in person.

Bad time again for me this year, but I'm already planning on it for next year.

Jon

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 10:26:22 pm »
Jon, I'm going to try real hard to make it.  Look forward to meeting you as well.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 08:34:33 pm »
Jon, I'm going to try real hard to make it.  Look forward to meeting you as well.

Sweet. Awesome carving by the way Brian.

Jon

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 06:59:50 am »
That's sweet Brian,Did Barb carve that ? She does some nice stuff. Hope yall have a big time as I know you will,tell Davy/Chucky/John/Glenn I said ha. Maybe when I retire I can make this one. :) I know it will be a hoot. :) Take plenty of pictures and Kevin I loved the videos so be sure and do that and share it with us that can't be there. :(   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 11:17:29 am »
Paul Putt did the carving.
We would love to have you at Hawkeye sometime. If you can only make one Shoot the Traditional Shoot in august is the major event. The Spring Thaw Selfbow Shoot is much smaller.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 06:55:54 pm »
yeah Kevin if you could take some videos again, I always love to watch the woods walk ones.

Jon

Offline BrianS

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 10:49:54 pm »
Got home from work today and found a message from Gerry Lee saying that his gang from Canada will be attending. They put on quite a demonstration of the power behind their English Warbows last year. I still have the steel plate they were shooting holes through. Very Impressive!

Offline BrianS

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 10:40:14 am »
I forgot to mention that Gerry Lee will be running the Clout Shoot again this year. Gerry said he would be supplying a prize ( Hopefully it will be one of his handcrafted English Arrows). For those of you who have never seen his arrows they are some of the finest arrows I have ever seen. His Craftsmanship is first rate and a better guy you can't find!
Have also recieved word that Karl (the Viking) is also coming from Michigan. I am looking forward to seeing what he has been working on since last year. I still treasure the flint point he made for me from a piece of stone he found in our driveway!
Weather is suppose to break.
Should be a good one.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:17 am »
Here is the tentative schedule of Events

Friday:
Gate and Courses open at 10 am
Campfire Cooking Contest 5:30 to 6:00 pm (Bring your entry to HBHQ)
One log fire contest at FT Camp at 7:00pm (You will need flint and steel / axe / cup to boil water in)

Saturday:
Courses open Dawn to Dusk
Hawk and Knife 9:00 to 10:00 am at the Practice range
Woods walk Qualifier 10am – 11am at the Shelter
Woods walk Finals 1pm (see Dino and Eric for details)
Chronograph your bow – 3:30 to 4:00 PM at the Shelter
Camp Feast – 6pm at the Clubhouse (Bring a dish to pass) Prizes will be awarded after dinner
Primitive Archery Trade session after dinner on the Clubhouse Porch

Sunday:
Courses open at dawn
Clout Shoot 10am (please meet at deck next to the barn)
Shoot closes at noon

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 04:16:16 pm »
Jon and Pappy,
I plan to tape the woods walk if I do not shoot good enough to qualify, but if I do qualify for the woods walk I will try to find someone to tape it if I can, and I also will tape the clout shoot if it is not rained out.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 09:25:29 pm »
FT Camp at the Hawkeye Spring Thaw has not been the same since that old Backwoods Longhunter “Buffler Razz” left for New Mexico. I have been searching for a suitable replacement to fill his moccasins and I believe I have found him! He can whip a Mountain Lion, throw a hawk and shoot a bow with the best of them, tell tales till your ears hurt, go a year without bathing. Why he would be a match for the likes of Jim Bridger or ol’ Daniel Boone himself! The best part for me is he is my 8 year old Grandson Michael and this will be his first Overnight Primitive Rendezvous. Just figured I would warn you guys to watch out if you come visiting FT Camp. Once he gets to asking questions he just doesn't quit. I did have one compromise, I have to set up the big canvas wedge tent because he ain't big on sleeping out under my Open Face Diamond Shelter.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 12:33:46 pm »
Here is latest weather forecast:
Friday Evening  Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 46.
Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 31.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 49.
We cut up a bunch of firewood for Folks plus the Clubhouse has a furnace and a woodstove. We have two outside shelters plus a covered deck.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 06:34:54 am »
Weather sounds good,and looks like it is all coming together.Hope yall have a good one,bet the grandson will have a blast.That's very special. Tell everyone up that way I said ha and shoot straight. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 12:06:14 pm »
Pappy,
Thank You. I will pass along your hello to Dave, Chuck, Kevin and the rest of the Hawkeye Boys.
We put the finishing touches on the courses this morning and a few of the guys are setting up their camps today. We have two courses out with a total of 22 targets that folks can shoot as often as they want. There is also a Practice Range we set up down in the Woods. If anyone wants to work on a bow there is a outside shelter that can be used. We will be running some informal contests along with Saturday's Pot Luck Dinner. Rob is bringing up a small group of Cub Scouts Friday Afternoon and Saturday Morning to check out some of the stuff happening like the one log primitive fire contest and the hawk and knife. Some of these Kids have not seen anything like this before. When Rob is done teaching them they will all be wearing braintan buckskins and shooting selfbows! Like I said before it is not a big event but we have a good time. Kinda like a Family Reunion for Primitive Archers. Just 2 days to go.
Have a good one,
Brian